How much gap for a cooker?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Allante666, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Allante666

Allante666 New Member

Im fitting a kitchen and am going to put in a freestanding cooker, however, we have not got th ecooker yet but it will probably be a 600mm wide one. Myquestion is, how much gap between the units do I need to leave for it? (I can put one of them anywhere so its not a problem whatever size gap it needs)
    Is there a recommended gap down each side of the cooker?

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

depends on the manufacturer instructions and wether its gas or leccy! ;)

3. fitero

fitero New Member

If the cooker is 600mm,you need a gap of 602mm,no more or you will be called a bodger!.[That is between the metal edges on the worktop].

4. Stretch

Stretch Member

Don't make the gap any smaller than 600mm or it won't fit.....

5. Allante666

Allante666 New Member

Damn! and there was me gonna make it 590mm! Thanks guys, thats what I wanted to know. Its gas by the way in case it makes a difference to the gap?

6. PTFE

PTFE Member

A free standing gas cooker needs 20mm clearance from each of the base units - unless the cooker manufacturer's installation instructions state a different distance.
    If they do, go with the manufacturer's figures as they over-ride any others.

And don't forget to put a stability bracket or safety chain at the back of the cooker.

HTH

PTFE