best tool for scribing?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by seneca196, Mar 2, 2010.

1. seneca196

seneca196 Member

may be an obvious question (sorry) but looking at a lot of previous topics, there's always mention of scribing lines (before cutting laminate, gloss end panels/doors etc)

just wondering what's the best thing to use?
    Stanley knife, tile scribe (TC tipped). Will an ordinary flat blade work or do the hooked, curved ones perform better? I suppose what is needed is strength and sharpness (and a steady hand!)

I had planned on clamping a metal rule as the guide, but is there anything better?

thanks.
    (GREAT FORUM!!)

2. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

use festool skillsaw with guide rail which has chip guard,preferably upside down.perfect cut with no chipping with a sharp blade

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

mitreman, I am not having a go at you but what is the point in telling seneca to cut it with a track saw when all he wants to know is how to score a gloss door to avoid chipping and breakout? Clearly he hasnt got a TS55 or any plans to buyone Similarly on the other thread about gloss doors when all seneca wants to know is how to cut a straight line why tell him to cut it on a flipsaw when he hasnt got a flipsaw. Seneca with minimal tools the best way to get a neat finish is to using a sharp handsaw with the panel gloss side upwards cut about 2-3mm away from your line and then either rout(as I think you have a router or plane(either hand or electric) to your line. Be careful about always working from the edge of the door inwards when planing or routing to avoid the edge breaking out so if needs be turn the panel gloss side down to meet in the middle if you catch my drift. Take your time and it'll be fine

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

buy an alendorf cnc with 14 head cutter and saw

perfect finish

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You know what wuddy, I typed in then deleted on my last post that I recommend buying a £100k cnc to do it! great minds and all that jazz

6. seneca196

seneca196 Member

thanks guys. Love all the information (useful/relevant or not) as I'm finding these boards a bit of an education. There's always something else to know (not difficult in my limited diy knowledge.)

All greatly appreciated.

7. wuddy

wuddy Member

it! great minds and all that jazz

you were probably thinking the same about mr mitherman with his overkill recommendations to a diy'er (-:

8. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

excuse my ignorance goldenboy,although i think you contradicted yourself by saying he has minimal tools and then suggest using plane or router,how do you know he has a plane or router?i dont mean to have a go at you but the methods you desribed were useless.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Mrmitreman, read the thread about gloss doors (that you posted on) and he says has a router. Most people have some form of a plane whether it be a block,smoother or an electric.

Explain to me what is useless about me telling somebody with basic hand tools who wants to cut an end panel for his own house to cut within 2-3mm of his marked line and planing to his line. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. It might not work for you but some of us know how to operate tools that dont need plugging in. I have a TS55 and its a fine bit of kit but if I didnt have the electric on I would survive just fine. Please explain to me why cutting and planing to a line is a useless method for doing a couple of end panels, I am genuinely interested

10. wuddy

wuddy Member

keep up - the op said he had a router

11. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

oops looks like ive hit a nerve.ok u got me there he has a router and congratulations on being the proud owner of a festool plunge saw.would you seriously use this method to cut down gloss doors?end panels maybe yes.i can just imagine you cutting down gloss doors using this method it would be very funny to see.routing half way through,undoing your clamps flipping it over then trying to match the line the other side,tiz possible but if you have lots of doors to do youd be there forever.can imagine you missing the line slightly after flipping it over then flipping it over again to try and match into it.mind you, you did say youd survive using this method,there r a lot of guys in this trade who survive,ive seen them lol

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Are you some kind of idiot? This bloke wants to know how to cut some end panels using minimum tools for his own house, my advice is to cut them with minimal tools as thats what he has, your advice is to cut them with a £400 saw, whos advice is more useful? He is not doing it for a living. I dont cut my end panels this way but if needed I could, I doubt somehow you could.

How would you cut down a gloss door which needs a clean edge both sides then? Explain to me your way of doing it. Incidentally mate I did three breakfast bar ends today by routing halfway and then flipping them over and working the other way and they matched up exactly, how would you do your breakfast bars.

13. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

er read the thread,gloss end panels ,DOORS etc.well done on your breakfast bar,as this is standard way of doing them not gloss doors lol.would love to see how the top end of your doors line up when finished,still people do get away with it.can u imagine a diyer clamping routing spinning the door over.ask your college tutor for some advice,hell point u in the right direction

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Explain your way of cutting gloss doors then?

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If its cut it with a TS55 with the gloss face down as you said up top, then you clearly arent bothered about risking breakout on your exit edge.

16. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

thought i already explained it to you

17. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

i think u r the type of guy who only believes text book methods.have u ever cut a painted high gloss door with plunge saw and sharp blade.believe it or not no breakout at all.i think the misake you r making is not supporting the waste piece.or as i said b4 flipover with HIGH blade.high blade will stop breakout.low blade will cause it

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

ha ha ha, I think nothing more needs adding, you truly are the innovator of all innovators, do you do a lot of work for RNIB supported housing?

19. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

lol u r funny.keep up the good work.ill give u a shout when i need a butcher

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The only way of eliminating breakout on a finished exit edge is by using a spelch block, but you have probably never heard of one of them, I guess you were sick that day.