digital aerials

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by raymor, Mar 20, 2010.

1. raymor

raymor Member

Hi,
    Can someone advise:- With digital do you still have to use an aerial type relative to the area you live. On the old analogue aerials if you were in the london area for example you would use a group A aerial and site it on crystal palace.
    If you were in Bedfordshire you'd obtain signal on Mendlesham or Sandy using group B.

thanks for your help.

2. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

All aerials are analog, so-called digital aerials are just like the old ones except maybe for higher gain & more directional. The term Digital Aerial is only a trick to sell new aerials which may be unnecessary.

It's only the equipment that's digital.

3. raymor

raymor Member

Thankyou for your reply. I had come across this comment, I believe it was rogue traders where the individual was conned into replacing aerial where CAA rep said it was unnecessary in most cases.

Problem we have with analog existing aerial in loft is that quite often the freeview picture breaks up pixels if you understand what I mean. Do you know if this indicates weak signal or DB strentgh of aerial.

thanks

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get the booger on your roof.

5. raymor

raymor Member

easy said. unfortunately local authority ruling prevents this

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What, you can't put a TV aerial on your roof?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Re-adjust the aerial in your loft. Include raising and lowering to help.

You might like to use analogue channels to set it up perfectly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

.....Oh, and consider a booster between aerial spocket and telly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. raymor

raymor Member

thankyou mr andy I shall experiment as you suggested

regards

10. fitero

fitero New Member

I had this problem when freeview retuned last year,got a booster from Maplins,stuck it in the loft next to aerial and its perfect.

11. raymor

raymor Member

thanks fitero,will give it a try.It really confirms an earlier suggestion that the picture breaks up(pixels) indicating possible weak signal.

cheers