Routering worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by silly cone, Apr 9, 2010.

1. silly cone

silly cone New Member

I am currently rennovating a house at the moment and happened to look out the window to the house across the road. I noticed a worktop being cut and saw that the fitter was pushing the router rather than pulling it. I have seen fitters doing this before and was wondering, who pushes or who pulls the router and is there any advantages or disadvanatges either way?
    I have been taught to pull the router and thats the way I do it, as I feel you would have a better control and you dont get as much sawdust over you.
    Debate away.

2. innit

innit New Member

Push. My router (Makita) Has a trigger that needs to be held down or the power cuts out, can't see how you could pull this router and hold the trigger properly.

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

neither

i stand in the middle and move it across in front of me

4. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

If I'm using a collar guided router I generally push. I find it easier to control - but I know people who pull. I'm not convinced there is a right or wrong - just what feels right for you.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Well I like to push, but then I also like to pull, but which is better ?

Only one way to find out,,,,, FIGHT !!!

6. I usually stand with the jig against my legs snd move the router from left to right.

I find it's easier to pull the guide against the back edge of the jig before pushing the router forward for the final cut.

So if I'm movimg the router from left to right am I pushing along with my left hand or pulling with my right? :O