Worktop joint glue.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by timmypoppet, Apr 29, 2010.

1. timmypoppet

timmypoppet New Member

What glue do you guys use? I've always used cascomite-aerolite type without any bother. Got called back to a job to have a look at worktop tonight which has been in about six months and it has started to lift in a small area (gutted) The joint is very close to the sink which I couldn't avoid due to size etc. Customer did say though that she did stand wet things on the joint to soak whilst she washed up. What I am wondering is.
    If wet things are left on joints regularly are they always going to go no matter what glue you use or should the joint be absolutley 100% watertight and I need to think about another glue. Thanks in advance.

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

3. silly cone

silly cone New Member

thought cascomite was used in the building of boats and im sure they stand in water for long periods of time.
    Just glad they are not made of chipboard lol

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

as iv said before on here you have to educate the client that there is no such thing as waterproof! (grand canyon is a good example) there are just varying degrees of water resistance! i use an exterior PVA on my joints and advise clients like the care sheets do to mop up spills immediatly, and have had no troubles yet;) apart from one client whom insisted i use colorfill and nothing else, so against my better judgement i did as told. his wife left a leaky water jug on joint and bingo up it went!:(

5. timmypoppet

timmypoppet New Member

Ye, thought about a waterproof PVA myself, the only thing with it is that once you've got contact it goes off v quick, not much time for maneuver. Do you get enough time?

6. usm

usm New Member

I don't think it makes that much difference what you glue the joints together with, they will never be waterproof and the weakest point is between the laminate surface and the chip beneath, once it gets through the chip will continue to 'wick' any water through. Silicon or waterproof PVA won't do any harm but equally they won't stop a joint from swelling, the most important thing is to educate the customer. I've had two joints fail over the years, one customer was stacking wet pots and pans on the joint after washing up (Cause the drainer was full!!!) and the other placed her toaster directly over the joint each morning, both had been advised after installation not to do so, both knew better. Both joints were well sealed but failed because care wasn't taken after installation, I always advise customers that the weak points on the top are the joints and the ends, in my opinion it's generally the customers fault when joints swell not the fitters

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Well said all. Agree that some clients do the darnedest things over joints.

Glue or silicone? Glue gives a strong joint and the colourfil 'glues' hide tiny imperfections.

Silicone gives more movement on fitting and imho seals all the cut edges better, but the joint itself needs to be absolutely perfect if using clear silicone.

I've used both and still can't make my mind up......
    Ian

---------------------------------
    Most days you can find me pottering about at <u>polishingpeanuts.com</u>.
    Come on in, I'll go and put the kettle on......