Oil or Water based paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Bucks, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Bucks

Bucks New Member

We have all the woodwork in our whole house to paint with a white satin or gloss paint.
    At present it is a mixture of new wood, old antique pine varnish, Wickes prefinished panel doors, some bare wooden doors, also some oil based satin & gloss that we started painting a few months ago.

The Dulux retail non drip gloss that we put on a few months ago has already gone yellow & be-sounds of it with the new 2010 VOC regulations is the yellowing of any new paint we buy going to be even worse.
    I was thinking of changing over to the Dulux trade Satinwood or the water based such as the Dulux Trade Diamond Glaze satinwood, but what I have heard on the net it is impossible to get a good finish, i would be dreading painting the doors with it.

What I am wanting is a first class job that wont need to be repainted every few years.

Sorry for the essay, but I just cant decide which is the best route to go, the more I look into it the more complicated it is, is there such a thing as a perfect paint out there or nowadays is it picking the best of a bad bunch, some ways I wish I had stuck with the antique pine.

Sorry again for the long winded post,
    PLEASE HELP

2. two by one

two by one New Member

My default is Dlx Trade oil based Satinwood, with an undercoat. You can thin the undercoat with spirits, and use two coats where needed. The water based one is ok on new work, but seems less durable.

3. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Paul.

All oil/solvent borne paints will yellow after time, the new 2010 coatings are even worse.

Water based paints are therefore becoming far more popular, as they do not yellow. Some have difficulty in achieving a good finish with these paints and their covering power is not as great as their oil counterparts.

Look toward Acrylic paints, these perform very well and one of the best in my opinion is Leyland Acrylux.

Treat yourself to a good synthetic brush such as Purdy, as these will dramaticly improve the finish of these paints.

I hope you find this info helpful.

Best of luck

Potty.

4. two by one

two by one New Member

That's interesting, I recently used some acrylic floor paint with good results. Do you use their primer undercoat with it?

5. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Yes always, doing such will greatly improve the application and finish of the topcoat.

Potty.

6. Bucks

Bucks New Member

Thanks for the info Potty,
    I thought water based & acrylic was the same stuff.
    What is the Leyland Acrylux like for coverage, durability & washing down etc compared to oil based, I haven't managed to find to much info on the net about it.

7. potty painter

potty painter New Member

I have found it very good on both counts, with these paints is practice and the correct brush. Combining the two will give you a good result.

Potty.

8. Bucks

Bucks New Member

THANKS again for the info Potty,

To be honest I'm not sure on the Leyland Acrylux just cant find enough info on the web to convince me,SORRY.

I am leaning towards the Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood, with the Purdy brushes & some Floetol & just hope it goes OK, I'm sure the skirting's & frames etc will be fine, its the doors I'm a bit worried about.