Loft insulation question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by cjt_uk, Mar 7, 2004.

1. cjt_uk

cjt_uk New Member

Hi

I have a 1960's semi-detached house and am planning to increase the loft insulation.

Currently there is a patchy cover of up to around 3cm of glass fibre type insulation.

The joists are only around 10cm high and as I want to board the loft this makes the recommended 25cm insulation difficult.

Any ideas whether I should

1. Just put 10cm glass fibre type insulation and then board over that

2. Put wooden beams over the existing joists to increase the joist depth to 20 to 25cm then insulate and board over

3. Lay down something like http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=29949&ts=71593 followed by 10cm insulation and then board

Options 1 and 3 seem like the least work to me - I am wondering whether option 3 is cost effective and will produce insulation to current standards?

Many thanks for any opinions.

2. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Speaking personally, I'd get 75mm fiberglass(100 mm if ness) put that over the top of the old, then board over it. If cost isn't an option than Vermiculite granuals would fill in the missing 25mm no bother, but it might be a bit more expensive.
    Regards, Woody

3. oggie

oggie New Member

Clean out the 60's carp and replace in 100m glasswool
    cover with 2L2 super R stapled ontop of joist cover with flooring of choice that will give you the required K value
    ^_^

4. cjt_uk

cjt_uk New Member

Hi Oggie

Sorry if this is a stupid question but could you please explain to me what is " 2L2 super R " ?

Many thanks
    Chris.

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

early 1960s insulation was unknown.
    mid 60s & fibreglass was used & 1" was recommended for normal use with 2" for centrally heated houses.
    Grants were availible for houses with no loft insulation & councils counted the foil backing on plasterboard as insulation so no grant there.
    This shows how things have improved in 40 years.

6. oggie

oggie New Member

Manufactured by Thermal Economics ltd Tel 01582450814
    Think of bubble pack with tinfoil in between.
    ^_^

7. eyetry

eyetry New Member

I did it the ukwoody way but did fix extra batterns to the joist to put the flooring on. I wish I knew about the 2L2 stuff though as I did want to go over the joists. Lovely and toasty now.

8. eyetry

eyetry New Member

PS: as advice here is free and pretty sound, you may wish to ask the sparks if added insulation will effect any cabling you have in the loft. Just a thought.