Decided to paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Have A Go Andrew, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Have A Go Andrew

Have A Go Andrew New Member

Hi

hope someone can help wife decided it would be a good idea for me to redecorate the bedroom. I have taken of the wallpaper and am going to emulsion the walls instead of papering. The problem is a lot of the paint that was on prior to wallpapering as come off with the paper I've rubbed down for hours and when starting to paint you can see all where the paint had pulled off. Would it be possible to use a hot air gun take all the old paint off and start fresh. Any advice please.

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Andrew.

Sounds like the paintwork on these walls has little or no adhesion, therefore it would be better to remove it.

You can use a heat gun to strip the remaining paint, when this is done wash down a couple of times with warm water and allow to dry before a repaint. Then apply a mist coat followed by two top coats.

Potty.

3. Have A Go Andrew

Thanks for reply. Would the heat gun be the best and only sollution or is there other options. Also what is ment by misting thanks again.

4. potty painter

potty painter New Member

With care you could use a wallpaper steamer should you wish to, but my preference would be a heat gun.

A mist coat is simply a thinned coat of emulsion, and should always be applied to bare plaster skim before your finish coats can be applied. Matt is best for misting just add 20 to 30% water.

Potty.

5. Have A Go Andrew

Thanks for advice will try heat gun on a small area out of sight if that goes ok I will do the rest thanks again.

6. Ê

Ê Guest

Keep clear!

Get a decorator in...

I promise its worth it

:)