Levelling wall unit

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Rgee, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Rgee

Rgee New Member

Hi, I'm currently replacing some kitchen wall units, the new ones are up but the wall is not level from top to bottom. The bottom of the units need to come out about 5mm to be level. Are there special spacers for this or can I just pad it with some timber or tile offcut?
    Thx

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It would have been better to have sorted the wall out first but failing that some batten across the bottom of the units will do - but you will have ugly gaps at the end. If you are really clever you can scribe and cut the units to fit the wall. ;)

3. russ295

russ295 New Member

To be honest this is the bain of life! Why don't the supliers make the end panels 10mm wider so they can be scribed in. Base units arnt too bad but wall units can be a nightmare.

4. roythehandyman

roythehandyman New Member

Scribe the unit to the wall. as you will be removing material then the end panel will certainly fit if scribed the same ammount! I do it all the time to wall and base units.Packing the unit will make it look as if a child has hung it.also packing the bottom will put extra strain on the fixings. the unit was designed to lay flat on the wall for good reason. whilst sorting the wall first is the way to go, the added cost can be too much for some customers.

5. roythehandyman

roythehandyman New Member

if end panels were made 10mm wider we would have all the extra work cutting them because they would be too wide for normaly fitted units, which is usualy the case!

6. russ295

russ295 New Member

i mostly fit howdens kitchens and the occasional b&q/ wickes etc, kitchens are about 98% of my work.
    i dont scribe wall units full stop. you have the clips at the top and a bracing bar at the bottom, if you need to remove material at the top you cant because of the clips and if the bottom you have to remove the bar.
    if the wall are out of level or bumpy etc, i fit the units and make an end panel to suit.

it takes about 2 mins to cut 10mm of a panel, it would take half a day to scribe a load of wall units.

i would love to work in houses that have nice level and flat walls/floors but usualy in my case they aint and that includes new builds aswell!

russ

7. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

I cut all my end and base panels from 2400 x 650 sheets so everything is scribed to the wall even if it is slightly out. It is a lot of work as * necessary for a pucka finish.

[Edited by: admin]

8. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

wind the "hangers" right back into the cabinet and get the powerplane out! takes a few mins max for the BETTER finish its worth the time! ;)