small gap on my mitre joint

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by marko3674, Nov 3, 2010.

1. marko3674

marko3674 New Member

sometimes when i router my miters the joint has a small gap at the top when i bolt it yet seems to be touching at the bottom of the joint any suggestion what it could be the router is flat on the jig when i router it am using zip bolts

2. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

are you supporting both sides of the jig?

if not the router can press down on the unsupported side and undercut. . . but that tends to lead to a crush joint where the top presses before the bottom.

are you using a sharp bit?

if not the tendency is to push hard, the pushing usually leads to cutting the top slightly more than the bottom.

are you using a quality router?

i purchased a cheap router, well cheapish for doing free hand hinges. after a few hinges i noticed the bit was digging in on the far side. upon closer inspection the pillars were not perfectly vertical. one bin and one new makita later problem solved :)

if its non of those things then . . . your just weird man

3. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

i take it the units are all level?

just occurred to me that can also be a problem.

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

where are the tops from,

if the tops are bowed lengthways you might have to pack the opposite end of the male joint up until your glue has gone off.
    i normally have to do this when you offer the tops together and the male is higher than the female.

usually find the more expensive tops arnt bowed as much.

you could try cutting a joint out of some spare tops and see how they fit together when they are only small pieces, checking how flat they are will be a good indication of your router not cutting square.

good sugestions from timber aswell

russ

5. biasqinc

biasqinc Member

6. marko3674

marko3674 New Member

its afreud router and a trend jig