Tiling on new plaster

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Leonardsway, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Leonardsway

Leonardsway New Member

Hi,

After a bit of advice. I have had my bathroom hardwalled and skimmed.....should I treat the walls at all before tiling?

Also I have built a new false wall at one end of the bath. Should I treat the pasterboard with anything or can I just tile straight to it??

Many thanks for your help...

2. norbos

norbos New Member

yes apply a coat of pva to the walls, if you don't the new plaster will draw the liquid out of the adhesive too quickly and will reduce the hold of the adhesive.

3. GKU

GKU New Member

Rhubarb !!!!!
    DO NOT apply PVA !!!!!!

Dinosaur :(

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

NO NO NO NOT PVA!

Use a tile primer such as Bal APD which is a MODIFIED PVA specifically for use when tiling and does not reactivate when wet.

5. GKU

GKU New Member

Repeat ....Does not reactivate with moisture ........that is the key ;)

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Repeat ! no PVA!

7. tic tic

tic tic New Member

think you had better not use pva then..leonard..:^O :^O

8. Leonardsway

Leonardsway New Member

I'm thinking that I'll give Pva a miss this time. Pick up some unibond stuff from the local shed. Hopefully will do the trick. Thanks for the help

9. tic tic

tic tic New Member

uni bomb...you get back on your medication Leonard. ..

use bal...mapei...weber...a good branded adhesive...

prime all walls with a sbr or mapei primer g...or bal apd following mfr instructions

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

UNIBOND! NOOOOO! Unibond IS PVA!

Nooooo!

You MUST use a tile specific primer such as Bal APD!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear......

11. Leonardsway

Leonardsway New Member

Doh!!! It does say on the label that it is specifically for priming new plaster and plaster board prior to tiling

I haven't tiled yet but gave used the uni bond stuff. Will one if the brands here be ok to prime over the top or us it too late??? Guess the worse case is I share my shower with a load of tiles sometime in the future!!

12. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Tiles in a wet area like a shower MUST be primed with another type of PVA such as Bal APD....otherwise there will be problems in the future.