Immersion temp

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by youngen1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. youngen1

youngen1 New Member

I'll start off I'm an electrician but keep getting called out to people saying there hot water is too hot all economy7 with an immersion, my question is what are the boundries for the lowest to highest temp setting on the stat that are within the limits, and how accurate are these stats, cheers for any responsse

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not quoting anything, but my undersstanding is that is should be 50-55º. Any higher and may scold(too quickly) and also formation of limescale is increased.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. imran

imran New Member

Sorry to correct Mr HA, but stored water should be at 60c (min) to kill/stop bacteria.  If there are elderly/young people in the house then it may be worth installing TMVs to reduce the temp at outlets.

4. sussexplumb1

sussexplumb1 New Member

Turning a thermostat to high is dangerous -as they say noones ever been killed by not washing but plenty of people have been by washing -water can be scalding at a suprsingly low temp. particularly for elderly/children.  Friend of mine thinks its clever to keep his thermostat turned up high so he gets a steaming bath of hot water he can then add cold to, hes a council tenant so not worried about the life of his cylinder and even changes the thermostats to the non cut out ones so they can be turned up higher!!  What would happen if one of his little kids fell in the bath while he was out the room?

5. imran

imran New Member

One reason why all new builds have to have TMVs fitted to the bath!  Shame they copped out of including all new baths in the Building regs.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's ok. As I said, I wasn't quoting.

I did however think, that as the 'scolding temperature' of water is about 65°, maybe 60° was a bit close for comfort.

Mine stays :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. imran

imran New Member

Depends whether you want to be in hospital with burns or legionella.... ;)  The correct way it to install thermostatic mixers or fit TMVs.  Look at the stats for young/elderly in hospital for scalding - scary numbers!