Rip Off!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Patriot, Dec 22, 2010.

1. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what other Electricians thought about the current state of the Electrical Industry?. I'm sure this will come as no surprise when I mention the dreaded Part P. I have untrained, unqualified and unskilled traders working in my area carrying out electrical work, I thought that Part P was a revolution in the Industry to stop people like that. I'll tell you what I know, Part P is one of the biggest cons and rackets I have ever come across, apart from the Bankers of course.

Why should skilled and time served Electricians have to pay these obscene registration fees just to say 'I'm competent'. An Electricians qualifications and experience proves his/her competence. This situation is compounded further by rogue traders still operating unchecked while decent Electricians are been taken to the cleaners. To me it would make far more sense if we had an individual registration system run by the Goverment whereby the Electrician has to submit his/her qualifications to the local building authority and then the Electrician is then issued with a unique ID number and trading license where all future work has to be notified using their ID number and also make the public well aware that they must only use licensed traders. All of this could be achieved at a modest cost to the Electrician.

At the end of the day so called Part P regulators are just riding the big gravy train and not fulfilling their duties whilst making trading conditions even harder then what they need to be.

Wishing everyone a nice Christmas and a happy new year.

2. Brunokid.

Brunokid. New Member

Oh dear   :(

Guess you've not got a lot on then?    :'(

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Well Patriot, Rip off Britain affects most trades these days. all designed to keep people in offices in work. Sadly not designed to keep tradesmen in work.
    It won't be long before us joiners are only allowed to buy timber from government registered wood yards. Any stud partitions we put up will need planning permission (fee payable of course).
    Painters too will have to buy paint from Dulux Dec centres (specially licensed by the local council). Brushes will have to be registered, as will paint kettles.
    Tilers won't escape either. They'll only be allowed to use government approved tile cutters. Grout will have to come from Prince Charles's Duchy estate in Cornwall.

Nah what we need is  proper regulation. None of the regulatory bodies, should be registered charities (as NICEIC is). They should be real regulatory bodies with real powers. With the power to stop unregulated work.
    The government too should look at the construction industry in general, and encourage the use of quality British skilled labour (instead of relying on cheap foreign workers)(Olympic site in London being the prime example)

Still. I think all this it too much to ask for or expect

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Now you've got me started. In my opinion, Part P was the biggest con to come out of recent legislation. Any spark I've associated with agrees that they pay a load of money for sod all. I don't have time to hang around whilst a spark can get round to doing wiring for me when I'm fitting kitchens and bathrooms. I'm fussy about the level of finish as well.
    Before you all start complaining, I'll just say that I work on my own and have a full work schedule well into next year. I have no need to advertise nor have my van marked up. I bought about 200 business cards about 3 years ago and still have loads left. I get all my customers just on recommendation.
    In other words, I'm doing very nicely, thanks, without having to rely on anyone else other that gas work. I'm also near enough to retirement not to give a toss about future legislation as indicated by joinerjohn.
    It will happen. We're sleep-walking into a regulated society with no way back.

5. NEEDAJOINTMAN

NEEDAJOINTMAN New Member

theres a kitchen fitter round my way thats part p, gas safe, and time served carp love to know how. come on how many of you gonna jump on that one and claim more skills

6. PaulTanton

PaulTanton New Member

Maybe this site should be renamed the Part P hate site. I for one thinks Part P is a good thing. I know I will get a torrent of abuse about this but if your any good at your job the assessment should never prove a problem. I know that there are people who carry out sub-standard  electrical work and I also moan about them.
    I very often say to a client
    ?I?m not going to be the cheapest quote, but if price is all your interested in please say now?.  I do lose some work to cheaper quotes but I?m not worried about it as I can?t afford to make a loss. I?ve also been called to several jobs that has be done by a guy with cheaper quote. And I?ve often been told ?We wish we got you in the first place?.  I?m turning work away at the moment.

And I know a few builders/kitchen fitters like MountainMan who ?Do a bit of every thing?. But are you doing it right? Yeah you can put a couple of sockets it, and I?m sure it works ok. But do you give a test sheet? Is your work covered by a seven year insurance backed guarantee? Do you carry out the relevant checks before you start work? Can you explain why main safety bonding is required? Can you calculate the size of CPC for a non-standard circuit? If you can, all well and good, get yourself on a limited scope scheme. You will have even more work.......