Hot water storage pressure.....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by james2512, Dec 30, 2010.

1. james2512

james2512 New Member

I have a vented hot water storage system fed by a cold water storage tank in the loft and heated by a Condensing boiler.

As you can imagine the hot water flow is rather limited and does not work with my shower mixer. I have installed a single stage Salamander pump but find its incredibly noisy! so wondered if increasing the size of the cold water storage tank would increase the hot water pressure or -

could I install a Grundfos central heating pump in place of the salamander to give me a much more quieter running. Any ideas??

Cheers.

2. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

No to the heating pump idea it will rot in weeks (constantly changing water) and to weak anyway.
    increasing the size of the cw tank (should be 50 gallons anyway) only increases the pressure because its Higher !
    Much better if its siting on the joists is to build a table as high up as you can go, bear in mind water weighs 10 lbs a gallon so 50 gallon tank and water is best part of quarter of a ton build it stong LOL. Minimum requirement for a "wetting" shower is 1 metre measured from bottom of tank to shower head.

3. james2512

james2512 New Member

Thanks for the info, I can say my cold water storage tank is a mere 25 gallon and max 0.5m from the shower head.

Another alternative is to move the salamander pump up in to the loft an use it to pump the stored cold water to the hot water cylinder.... can you see this causing any issues?

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No no no nooooooo!

Dafty DIYer! :eek: