Kitchen tap - slow flow on hot supply

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jan 3, 2011.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

The hot water flow from our kitchen tap is poor.  It takes a while for the water to actually flow hot and the rate is low, the cold is OK as it is a feed from the mains supply into the house.

I guess the hot water feed is a long tortuous path of 15mm pipe from the loft, around the house before connecting to the tap. I say guess because I cannot easily see where it is routed.

What could I do to improve this?

I have considered a bronze pump in the feed, but the ones I have seen are around £200/£300 which seems a lot of money.

I have also seem schemes where a pump circulates the hot water and returns it (warm) to the tank - I am still waiting for Grundfos to reply to my enquiry.  Any such scheme would require another pipe fitting.

I am sure this problem is not uncommon and has been resolved many times.

Thanks for your help.  Steve

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Fit a pump, easy if you know how, get a plumber to look at it.

3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you Hotdog,

I suspect that fitting a pump is not the major barrier.  The cost of the pump is quite high at £218 ( http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/grundfos-ups-15-50b--bronze-1---unions-hot-water-circulator-pump/) or £152 (http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/acatalog/Bronze.html)  - are these the sort of pumps that need to be fitted?

What controls their on/off - presumably the addition of a flow switch? Not seen one, except as incorporated in a power shower pump.

Update:  [I have just been searching and only found these flow switches http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=730890&N=401 and http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=256-578 - are they suitable?]

If this is the wrong approach then what is the correct hardware and control?

Thanks, S

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Google 'salamander ct55'

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

The Salamander is fine and easy to fit.

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I have googled that and found that it is on special offer at present at £99.  I have asked Salamander if flow switch is included within the pump - as Salamander do not offer any online data sheets or the like.

I guess I would put this pump in the feed near the hot water cylinder to boost the flow to all the hot taps.  Or would it be advised to put this near the kitchen tap to boost that only?  The problem here, as I see it, is the low pressure, low flow to the pump.

If the pump feeds all hot taps then is there a risk of too much flow/pressure in the bathroom, say?

I cannot recall the pipe runs to see if the kitchen feed can be separated.

Thank you both Hotdog and Mountain Man.

Steve

7. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

You really don't have a clue do you!  Salamander have excellent instructions online, a pump is designed to boost the flow so poor flow into the pump does not matter, they have flow switches built in! Of course the electrics need Part P cert as its going in a kitchen....Doh! Dafty DIYers! :eek:

8. mmmm

mmmm New Member

I believe your problem, shared by many others, may have been caused by the choice of kitchen mixer. I have been caught out in this way, by buying a flash new mixer, made on the continent, which turns out to be fitted with 10mm tails/flexible connectors. This is often not referred to in the advertising material. These taps do not function properly with low pressure gravity hot water supplies (I live in a bungalow) and deliver a miserable trickle.  So, before investing in expensive pumps etc, I should have a quick look under the sink. A change to a 15mm tap may be a cheaper solution.

Good luck!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I tend to agree with mmmm. Especially if flow to bathroom taps is better than kitchen. The pressure at kitchen, (regardless of length of run-it's all downhill anyway) should be no worse than the upper rooms.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you for all your useful replies.  I intend to disconnect the hot feed and 'see' what the flow is without the tap or its tails connected.  This should establish that the tap or its tails is the restrictive item.

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

it would be easier just to clean the tap......