What's the best way to paint over water staining?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYTRIER, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DIYTRIER

DIYTRIER Guest

I recently had a radiator burst in my bathroom and the water penetrated the ceiling downstairs into my breakfast room.

There are quite bad stains on the joints and around the coving which I'd like to paint over with white emulsion.

Two friends have advised different approaches? One says to paint the areas with gloss paint first to seal it? The other sugested using  a diluted solution of PVA?

There's quite a large area to do so I would prefer to go down the PVA route? Can any decorators tell me what the best solution is and if it is to use PVA - what is the best quantity to use when mixing the solution up? and can it be applied with a roller or does it have to be brushed on? Also what's the ideal drying time?

Many thanks guys.

[​IMG]

2. midnight cowboy

midnight cowboy New Member

Don't use PVA

Oil based undercoat, apply with a mini roller, leave for 24 hours.

3. AWCO

AWCO Member

I am with  midnight cowboy on this
    This is the best way and most economical
    Do it this way all the time when we have the same problem

4. DIYTRIER

DIYTRIER Guest

So PVA is bad advice? Just as well I posted! Thanks a lot Midnight Cowboy - just apply neat yeah?

5. DIYTRIER

DIYTRIER Guest

So PVA is bad advice? Just as well I posted! Thanks a lot AWCO - just apply undercoat neat yeah?

6. apl

apl Member

As already mentioned, white oil based undercoat will block the stain. I'd give it two coats of undercoat, making sure the first coat has fully dried before applying the second. Then when dry, give the treated area a couple of coats of emulsion, again wait till the first coat has fully dried before applying the second. You'll notice the treated area will take longer to dry out than normal and will look patchy until fully dry. Lastly, I'd give the whole ceiling and coving one coat of emulsion. I use Johnstones Covaplus Vinyl Matt, lovely stuff.

7. DIYTRIER

DIYTRIER Guest

Many thanks guys for all your advice - I'll give it a go!!!!

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

With several reports on this forum with regard to the 'longer drying times' of the new lower solvent compliant paints I would recommend Zinsser Cover Stain. Supperior product, made for this type of problem and dries within the hour. When dry a coat of quality emulsion over the entire ceiling will leave you with a good finished job.    

9. DIYTRIER

DIYTRIER Guest

Do you know where I can buy Zinsser Cover Stain and what sort of price it is? Thanks

10. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Brewers stock Zinsser products.  Go to www.brewers.co.uk for the branch locator (130 so there should be one near you).  Give your nearest branch a ring for the price.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser Cover Stain £12.77 +VAT from Brewers