Wiring a Timer Fan as a non Timer Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kangooman, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Hi all,

Can this be done without affecting the performance?

Thinking along the lines of item no: 41379

Are they designed  to work without having a perm live but just a sw live?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi kangoo

The standard way of doing this is to just link L and SL on the fan terminals, it will then work as a standard on/off switched fan. It doesn't affect the performance.

Regards

3. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

A better way, Roy, if you don't my saying, would be to remove the PCB/timer module altogether for use as a 'spare'. Then it's a simple matter of connecting  the two motor leads to the switched supply.

Lucia x

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I think Un's way is best..who wants to mess about removing PCB timer modules out of fans for ''spares''?..flipping heck I dont know of any sparks who would do that..just link as said and be done with it Kangoo, and to boot if you ever want/need to change it - it is simple to go back on t'timer mode (PCB on board and not lunched in t'bottom of toolbox or whatever)..:)

5. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Don't be a twit. JP.  The PCB just slides simply out of its housing. A matter of a few seconds, that's all.  And then the timer can be used on another job.

You don't know any sparks that would do that?  Well I know plently that would do, and do so. Notwithstanding that most people purchase the correct model in the first place.  It isn't simple 'to go back on t'timer mode' if it hasn't been wired with 3C&E, is it?

Lucia.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Do you mean to say that people don't auto whip 3 c + e in for a fan.. irrespective of wether a timer, or no timer, or whatever is fitted Lucia?

7. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Read the original post, JP.  Then you tell me........

Lucia x

8. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

I think it's down to personal choice . . . .  whilst the performance of the motor/fan is unaffected the fact that the fan cycle will be cut short could result in residual moisture laden air.  What's good for the fabric of the building is sometime at variance with the desire for 'peace & quiet' . . . . . .

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Can't say I've ever attended a ferked Fan that's timer module has packed in whilst everything else is ticketyboo!

Tis usually a seized/burnt motor due to crud paste (deodorant/talc/hairspray etc etc)

Most Dom Fans are only £20 so it's not worth messing about.

Now if we are in a Pub/Restaurant with a faulty 12" Xpellair/Ventaxia etc etc then they are worth messing with.  :)

10. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Hello ESR, it's nice to to see you back on the forum.....
    The question of overrun to disperse residulal moisture isn't the issue here, because a non-timer fan can easily be left running 24/7 provided it hasn't stupidily been linked to the light (in a room with a view). After all, a typical domestic fan would only consume 20W.

The issue, as I read it, is that the O/P, Kangoo (formerly known by the pretentious name of 'Ace Leccky') has just a Sw.L&N but no permanent live.

Lucia.

11. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Sinewaiver dear, you should stick to digging trenches.  If you've paid twenty quid for a 'dom fan', they must've seen you coming.......

Lucia x

12. Eye Squared R

Eye Squared R Active Member

Hi Lucy,

Good to see you are still dispensing wisdom and pragmatism to the less able masses.  I think he has a timer fan without a permanent Line so is forced to forego the niceties of Fan over-run and simply opt for manual control.  He could ignore BS7671:2008 and brown sleeve the CPC but that would be very bad practice which couldn't be condoned . . . . .

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

He shouldn't HAVE to ask!

He's been around long enough to know how to do this.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Many thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated.
    I dont know where some of you thought I have a perm L only.
    I have SW L amd perm L its just a possible solution to a problem that has now been resolved so many thanks.
    The fan in question will def be an inline centrifugal.

16. "...a possible solution to a problem that's now been resolved..."?

Tell, tell...

17. coloumb2

coloumb2 New Member

Hey m8 how do you "lunch" something in the toolbox? You put your lunch in the toolbox but a spare fan timer thing "lunched"? Maybe I'm thick as pigsh1t but I don't get it. 

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Lunched = broken Mr C. One example..She lunched her engine half way up t'strip..which means the engine let loose half way up the drag strip, which equates to the engine blowing up. Lunched is a well known word Mr C, although it is slang tbqh.

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

One more example Mr C. Say you was testing something and you blew the tester up..the tester is now known as lunched. ''I lunched me tester this morning Alf''..this equates to..''I smoked me tester this morning Alf''..which obviously means the tester is probably not worth repairing.

Hope this explains everything Mr C.