Adhesive setting on wall before tiles in place

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Bodgitandlegit, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hi. Is there any tried and trusted method of slowing down the setting of adhesive, so I can get my tiles on the wall. I may be slow at placing tiles, but I can only place 9 tiles at a time. I would like to be able to tile one whole wall at a time in a small bathroom, just on one spread. I've got a bathroom to tile next week and I need to speed up as I'm going to be short of time. Any help gratefully accepted. Cheers Les

2. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Well I'm not an expert and I expect one will be along shortly to provide a pro's answer!
    But there are slow set adhesives with a pot life of around 4 hrs. I don't reckon they'd stay useable for that long once spread on a wall, depending on how porous the wall is temperature etc. Why not just spread a manageable area at a time, don't see how that would take any longer than spreading a whole wall in one go especially if the addy goes off anyway?

Cheers,

Roland  

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Manufacturers instructions for the use of tile adhesives usually state, to only work on a certain sized area at a time. This is certainly a lot smaller area than a whole wall. If you can only place 9 tiles at a time, then that's the size of area you should aim to work on. Once they are in place then carry on with the next 9 tiles.

4. So does anybody apply PVA before the adhesive to slow it down? That's what plasterers do to stop the water being sucked out of the plaster and keep it workable. The dry tile will soak up some of the water in the adhesive and stick it to the wall quickly. Thanks for your input JJ and Rolandk. Les

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Don't whatever you do, be tempted to use PVA on the walls. PVA is a water based product and when dry, can be reactivated by anything containing water (ie tile adhesive). The PVA will ensure that your tiles will slide off the wall.  As I said before, just work on a manageable area. Once you have tiled that area, immediately carry on with the next area. You'll soon be done.;)

6. tictic

tictic New Member

you will only be wanting to tile a m2 at one time,,so your addy doesnt go off on you and you can make sure your tiles are all alliagned/no lippage etc...if you plan to spread a whole wall then start tiling......then get a tile fixer in to do it..
    how big is the bucket and mixer you plan to use, to mix your adhesive in...???..or you using tubbed stuff..

7. Hi tictic

I'm using tubbed stuff, supplied by the customer. They wanted to supply all their own materials. Strangely, the adhesive is made by Evostick and reading the tub (something I rarely do) the instructions say to apply a dilute solution of PVA and allow to dry for 1 hour before tiling. The tiles are 400mm by 250mm and so it's showing up every little imperfection in the wall. Two of the walls are fresh plasterboard and are reasonably flat, but the other two are plaster on to brick and were quite uneven until I spent some time sanding them flatter. How do you boys get around the uneven wall problem?

8. tictic

tictic New Member

400x250mm.....pva/evostick.....best of luck there bud...(yer going to need it)...

9. Well, none have fallen off.........yet. Interestingly, I sought out a 5 litre of PVA in my shed to see what was written on the container. It claimed to be a glue and sealer. To be used as the first stage of a process, e.g. before tiling.

I haven't used the PVA and just applied enough adhesive for a small area at a time, and this has worked. What adhesive would you recommend, tictic? And thank you for the luck, it seems to have worked!!