Bath with side taps

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bodgitandlegit, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hi. What's the current thinking on baths with taps on the side? Do the taps go against the wall or out in the room? If I fit the bath with the taps against the wall, how do I get to them if there is a problem? Say a leak, or faulty tap. If they go on the room side, that means I'll have to step over them entering the bath. What do you think? Cheers for any help, Les

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

i'm currently fitting a suite with that senerio, the shape of the bath means they can only go to the wall, but when the bath is tiled in and a leak occurs or loose tap its a major upset,
    i've said this before,,bathroom design is being done by wimmin and it will lead to disaster, no bloke would design a bath that can't be maintained, god help us, please please please , wimmin are good at nurseing, cooking and having babies, so stick to those occupations and leave the real work to men,
    end of lesson,

3. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

no chance of a monobloc type put on a front corner then?

Or, the Aqualisa Bath filler type, just two thoughts.

Disclaimer. This advice is free, no recompense if it goes t8ts up.

DH

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Mirrors, a torch, long arms and long tools :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Thanks for your input. Tom, I don't think we should be blaming all these things on to wimmin, with your rant out the way are you still going to mount the taps up against the wall? DH - what's an Aqualisa bath filler? I'm interested. Mr. HA - very helpful I'm sure. Have you ever attempted to work on a tap at that distance? was it successful?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

To be honest, no, I haven't worked on a tap in that position. But I have removed and refitted handles in that position, and whilst awkward, spanners etc can be used there although placement of loose things like nuts etc are very difficult.

If you have access to the end of the bath, you can get your arm in to just reach the middle, you still need mirrors and light because your body blocks your direct view. Once you get loose pieces on(like getting the tap-nut started and the compression joint nut started), using spanners is easy(well I managed to place nuts and washers on the safety handles.  Just saying, it is possible, though awkward, and you may need to have a good sense of 'feel'.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Only a complete moron would fit taps against the side wall.

As Tom says, wimmin must have come up with this stooopid idea!

8. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Whats an Aqualisa Bath filler? Its a digital mixer valve - shoe box sized - situated where-ever you like (but mebbe easiest under the bath, behind the panel). It has an on/off buton with temp control, and well, fills the bath, not through taps, but an overflow fitting especially made for the purpose,

Goggle aqualisa bath filler.

DH

9. Thanks DH. The problem has been solved. When I unpacked the tub, it was a standard end filler. Seems it was picked wrongly from the plumbers merchants. When the customer phoned to complain (they supplied their own parts) the suppliers said that tub was all that was available now, as the 1500mm long tub with a side filler was now discontinued, although they had one on display!! The customer settled for the one they'd bought. Brilliant!!