Hot water is gulping and spluttering then stops... Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tiggr, May 25, 2011.

1. Tiggr

Tiggr New Member

I have a copper cylinder with its own header tank and just an immersion heater.  When running a bath it splutters and gulps and then stops half full.
    I've tried a new float and valve, tried lowering the flow on the hot, and forced cold up the mixer tap to get rid of air locks... Nothing seems to work.  Anyone got any ideas??

2. wetpants

wetpants New Member

The incoming mains cold water to the tank needs checking out for low pressure or blockage

3. Crazy horse

Crazy horse Guest

As said check the incoming mains, put a bigger CWS tank in and/or pipe the cold to the bath in mains.Its not air.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Might be a good idea to watch the CWT for levels when bath is running, just to see what's happening.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. xbg

xbg New Member

Yep, low pressure. I've had a couple which turned out to be a leak on the incoming supply which had gone unnoticed, but didn't have the legs to get upstairs and into the loft.

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

As it always been like this or is it a recent developed fault? What's the static head like? (The distance in hieght that the feed tank stands above the cylinder)?

7. Onetap

Onetap Member

Is this a combination cylinder with the header tank attached directly to the top of the cylinder, like for example, Screwfix item No 64297?

If so, is the tank running dry, i.e., water going out faster than the mains comes in? Was there a separate loft storage tank previously?