Waterproof Membrane for a wet room

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by joarnie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. joarnie

joarnie New Member

I am at the position of needing to fit a waterproof membrane to my new wetroom before tiling.  The walls are moisture resistant plasterboard and the floor is concrete.

I have heard and can get quite reasonably priced the Genesis GMat, but have been told to be cautious of this as there have been known cases of the 'fleecy' layer becoming detached?  The best one I have been advised to go for so far is the Schluter Ditra and Kerdi systems but this seems quite expensive in comparison.

What can anybody suggest?

Thanks,  Jo

2. VaporTrail

VaporTrail New Member

None of the proprietary solutions work long term. Wet rooms work where cement render is used in hotter climates which can dry out the leaks before damage is caused. The only wet room solution that might last over c. 5 years is one where fibreglass walls are used and then tiled over but even then there will be leaks between the walls but they go unnoticed for much longer.

Best bet is to use a resin shower tray as the floor is where most of the water would leak through. There are some good lokking ones and they can be disgusied as step downs or combined with raised floors to give a more real wet rooms effect. You'll need a stiff tile backing board on marine plywood walls. "moisture resistant" is not waterproof. BAL Whitestar tile adhesive and a BAL grout for showers or swimming pools.

3. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

You're a positive bugger VT..
    We use Schluter by default, but have used Homelux from Topps tiles, when run short.
    Never had a problem with either of them de-laminating like you describe.

The key to it all of course, is the joints, and Schluter Kerdi Koll is excellent

HTH