Watch where you're drilling!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ThreadJacker, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I went to a customer yesterday who had a damp patch at the foot of the dishwasher, I pulled out the machine and checked the hoses etc but found them okay. I was just coming to the conclusion that it may be the door seal or something when I noticed a hole in the back of the machine big enough to get my little finger through with evidence it had been letting water out.

I opened the door at the front and sure enough the hole came right through and looked as though it had been done by a bullet or something.
    I noticed there was also a hole in the wall at the same height, I went outside and saw a hole as well with another hole 2ft away with a new cable in it.

They had an electrician in 6 months ago to do some re wiring so he (or his apprentice) had managed to drill through the wall and straight into the back of the dishwasher!

I made a patch with some plastic and LSX.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its uncanny how you can hit pipes in walls, if you wanted to hit a 10mm heating pipe in a wall you need a thousand attemps, yet many diyers can hit um first go

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Reminds me of some subbies who worked for Balfour Beatty who were doing some O/H line refurb work for Scottish Power.

One of them was a drilling new holes for a wall plate at high level.

The recently widowed ole dear was downstairs watching TV when she heard a banging and thrashing noise from the bedroom above!

On entering the room she saw one of her recently departed husbands suits thrashing around inside his wardrobe with the doors flapping about!

Ole dear nearly died of a heart attack thinking her dead spose had come back to haunt her.

Reality was the subbie outside on his ladder had wazzzed his 16mm masonary bit on his 36V Hilti straight through the wall and wrapped the suit around the bit!

I've never come so close to * my self outside of an alcahol stupor! 

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

4. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Similar thing happened to my wife when the TV guys were installing home cinema, drilled straight thru her wardrobe from the room behind and caught her jeans which spun round inside, she wondered what on earth was happening! :)

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hey hogdog,,,how come you're not sailing round the med ?  has the boat been drilled by a diyer

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Drilled through a light switch from behind recently, odd thing was there were no shorts and the lights worked fine, the plate had a neat 6mm hole in it! :)

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Did U do a proper Job Capt'n and get the Caulk out?

9. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

And professionals!!!

diymostthings

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just fitted a new front plate! :)

11. a1colly

a1colly New Member

Don't fib captain you used your chewing gum to patch it up with ;)

12. p h jones

p h jones New Member

drill this   

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

13. a1colly

a1colly New Member

Theres always one who has to spoil it

14. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

what medication RU on?????

come Monday morning, and admin will be fumming.  if i woz you, ill delete the lot now.

15. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

And they wonder why the sites rubbish now!

Anyway a couple of years ago our apprentice was drilling through a garage wall to run a pipe from a boiler
    went straight through the incoming gas main,  had to close the road for an hour and call transco who charged £468 for repair and sent a guy round to fill the hole in the flower border back up, even though they had seen us do it before they left . needless to say he's the most careful plumber in the world when drilling now

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Some years ago, I managed to drill through a ring main whilst fitting skirting. Later on the same day I managed to cut through a central heating pipe. Luckily the heating system was dry at the time. .
    On a house refurb, one lad dug through the incoming gas pipe whilst digging out a trench for a new water service. Next day, the same lad did it again, 10m further on. ;)

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

some years ago i was working in a bistro in chester, it was above a selfidges shop and selfriges had agreed to let them run a drain into thier storeroom soilstack, but as the groundworkers were jackhammering through the concrete floor they set off the fire sprinklers, it cost them £10,000 for damaged stock and £500 for the fire brigade to come and turn off the sprinklers and pump the water out,

18. xbg

xbg New Member

Was she wearing them at the time?

19. titch241172

titch241172 New Member

few years back was drilling two 10mm holes on a bedroom wall for the boilers plate , thought the bit went through into cavity pretty quick or easy ! but  A...hoo carried on , 10 mins later woman in her nightgown knocking on the door not amused ... apparently on the other side of this wall was her ensuite and she was in the shower when my bit went through knocked 2 tiles of the wall nearly chopping her toes off cost the gaffer few bob that job did........

20. a1colly

a1colly New Member

flippin heck how long was your drill bit for putting up a boiler plate