Recently bought a toolbag

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ThreadJacker, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Its far easier with these open tote jobbies although I wish I'd got a Dewalt like Toms, I could really use those deeper side pockets. Gone are the days with that gaint heavy toolbox smashing into things. It stays in the van now with all the tools in it that I don't use on a regular basis. I mean why carry round an immersion heater spanner that I use use a couple of times a year?

I miss not having something to stand on though.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the dewalt and 3 ryoby bags from the largest to the smallest

advantages
    tools take up 1/3 the room on average
    soft bags do little damage
    easier to carry more tools
    storage space in van or workshop reduced by up to75% as odd spaces can accomidate the tools

disadvantages
    blades need to be removed to stop damage
    fixtures and fittings wont automaticly accompany the tool
    the routine you normally follow for checking tools is more difficult
    tools in vans are less restrained

but all in all the flexibility the easier transportation and far less storage required makes bags the best

3. ThreadJacker

I wouldn't care if there was a better designed box, I have 4 or 5 in the garage with broken clasps and problems caused by too much weight in them.

I've also used a soldering iron to melt my company name etc into the side of the tool bag along with all my hand and powertools, these gypos are getting more and more daring and will happily relieve me of all my tools.

I hear a £12,000 electric wheelchair from a little disabled lad was stolen for scrap from his back garden. I'd love to put them in the crusher.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the toolbags just about had its day now, the handles broke,the pockets are ripped and the strap is hanging on by a thread, so i'm going back to boxes,  as TJ says, something to stand on and  something to saw on is a big advantage to a bag, you can also organize the tray so the smaller tools are easy to find,
    i wonder if anyone will invent the perfect plumbers tool carrier ?
    there's a challange screwfix, invent one,

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I have big heavy toolboxes in the van and just use buckets for carrying bits and bobs! Always handy to have a bucket either for mopping up  or general clutter! :)

6. proff

proff New Member

Why are you carrying anything, that's what apprentices are for! ;)

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I've just lost my lad, he came out of his mind a few months ago and went for better money, can't blame him for that, so i'm a one man band now and thats how i'm staying,  its like i've been let of the leash,  must admit its a bummer packing the tools away and tiding up, still ,keeps the old begger fit,

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The apprentice ( if I had one) would be carrying the heavy tool boxes in!

9. ThreadJacker

M&S pfft, "I can't find my mulitmeter for all these effing shoes"

;)

10. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Large FACOM red tote bag for everyday installs/jobbing (with claw hammer, boxspanners, ring/open spanners 6-22 + 24/30/32 sizes, vaious pump-pliers (Bahco or Knipex) tapes, screwdrivers, board lifter, you name it.

Metal box to carry Gas stuff (regin premier gauge/LDF/closure plate tape/blackiron fittings you name it its in there alongside earth continuity clamps - GSR inspectoer please note!)

plus two more metal boxes with lead dressing/imm htr spaners/24" stillsons - yo know, the sort of stuff you use once a year - but unpredictably.

If a customer offers to carry anything I dare not give them the FACOM bag, I reckon its 20 ish kilos. Way too heavy, but I still beleive if you have it with you you are not gonna need it.

Just my take.

Oh did I mention the sack barrow if I have park more than 10 metres from the fornt gates? - FWIW I reckon punters see two bags, dustsheets and an FGA on that barrow and just know I mean business. ;)

DH

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select