Wee on floor or leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ThreadJacker, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

"While you're back here on Monday can you look at a leak in our downstairs toilet"

Went in for a quick butchers and smell hit you like a freight train, literally took my breath away. Stale urine smell from the devils Y fronts, I think its due to carpet and hubby weeing on floor as the back ledge of the pan was dripping in it but there was a damp patch in an island away from the toilet.

I'm convinced its just a stinky carpet but I don't want to ruffle any feathers by not investigating as I'm due to do a much bigger job there and she is a nice lady.

I mean if the pan had a small crack in it (non that I could see) it wouldn't smell like that would it? She thought it didn't smell of wee.

Its a nice house and everything no small kids and they're not chavs.

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

''.........they're no chavs''

TJ, dont matter how cultured/educated you are, drink does 4nny things to people.
    try downing a bottle of vodka, then tell me if you wont miss the bowl/pan when you go 4a leak?

3. ThreadJacker

Totally agree Palava, I think it is wee.

Whats that spray they use on CSI new york where the bodily fliuds on a carpet turn blue or something?

4. WallPlug

WallPlug New Member

Had a similar situation whilst doing boiler service, sorting dodgy rads etc "can you have look at the downstairs toilet, I think it must be cracked as the floor is damp". I'm sorry madam could you ask your three sons and, maybe, your husband to watch where they're pointing! Another one, "Could you look at the radiator in the downstairs cloakroom, it's rusty, does it need changing?" No madam, your gentlemen friends need to be more careful! LOL!

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

You can usually see a yellow peeline running down the front of the WC pan. It's often when they sit down for a no2 that they wee through the small gap between the seat and pan and never realise they are doing it. Difficult subject to broche though, 'cause everybody we swear that their not peeing on the floor. Worest thing though is when you unsuspectingly kneel down to take a closer look and feel the wet pee that's on the carpet soaking into your overhauls ugggh!! You could say it's leaking and it needs a new WC (gets you a job and the customer is pleased to get the leak fixed and you don't have to broach the subject at all). Tappy,

6. ThreadJacker

Yes it is a difficult one because in order to give the correct diagnosis you need to basically tell them they are not toilet trained.

I will go with knee pads and rubber gloves I think and report back. I will use my damp meter on the floorboards.

7. SuzyT

SuzyT New Member

I'm a housewife, not a plumber, and when we moved home I was delighted to have the luxury of a separate, carpeted downstairs loo.  I soon became very concerned that despite cleaning the toilet daily,  the room was developing a nasty whiff - which I discovered came from the carpet area immediately in front of the pan.    I whipped up the carpet, tiled the floor and then discreetly checked the tiles after  'man visits' - the number of drips from sober house-trained men is astonishing!  I assume that these drips soon dry on a hard floor, and are removed when the floor is mopped, so remain largely unnoticed and not a problem.

Nobody likes a hint that their personal habits or housework skills are below par, but perhaps you could tell the lady that this is a very common problem (I now realise that pedestal mats have a functional as well as decorative role!) which is easily rectified by changing the floor covering.

8. proff

proff New Member

I used to work for a senior manager that told us al at social function that his wife made him sit down to wee. Fortunately I didn't respect him as a manager before that.

So thread, there is the answer, tell her to make everyone sit. :)