domestic heating

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by shannon789, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Concur with Lectro,  you must understand what you are doing , doing by numbers is fatal if you get it wrong, and dont't listen to plumbers advice re electrics, they seldom have a clue.
    Most stuff works off two valves ,,, one for HOT WATER and one for HEATING  whits all this S plan Y plan Stuff      CRix twIx  ffss

Lucia , The Captain Sir says he has been delayed , hoover he is now fully functional and would be proud to take us to the seaside in his new motor car, he can not provide refreshment and suggests we all bring our own sandwiches and a half gallon of leaded petrol

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Yeh its all right banging on about all that stuff LD.. but what the flipping heck. You know you've got a Rothenburger in one hand blowing a 22mm EF straight, and a terminal driver in t'other doing the oranges - I mean flipping eck like

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Que ! JP ,, you been drinking ? lets have a Panto     Nah i'm off to bed

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Just wondering about the valve business really LD..I often wonder why I only had the small jobs and nothing which allowed me to use two valves..

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Was just thinking that me sen Looche on wading through the above!

Spose it was Panto night last night, maybe this forum aint such a dead duck after all! 

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Here's interesting, take a bog standard 2 port valve system 'S plan' many plumbers spurn the idea of running a separate permanant live to the valve as per diagram. Poo hoo don't need that, they says, just use the switched live from the controller . When calling for CH for instance the switch live will run the valve motor and switch on the boiler.  What do you all say to that and why?

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Just wire the flaming thing up LD - follow convention, or don't follow convention, its up to the individual who must be deemed competent to work on the system, be it electrical or plumbingcal by the powers that be.

Personally I think its best to follow the correct diagram for the system, and if add ons are used then a simple schematic describing the said and left with the customer will help any Central Heating Engineer working on the system in the future.

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

It's a simple question JP , thought someone would have a shot at answering it , including you JP . I hoped it would be more interesting than earthing your backbox JP

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Off-hand and without looking at the diagram to remind myself Lokks, i'd say you don't really want the pump current to be switched by the time clock contacts, that's the reason for a permanent live at the valves?

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You have to put a permenant live to the valves micro switch rather than taking a feed from the valves control live for a very good reason.

If you did take a feed from the valves control live, it would end up back fed from the other valve and end up 'latched' on via the other valves micro switch.

I think I have explained that in a manner that can be understood

JP - it is nothing to do with convention, it is to do with function

11. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Timer/programmer, room stat and valve are wired in series, thus valve opens when called by thermostat provided it's allowed by the timer.

NO switches for each valve wired in parallel, then to fire the boiler. Thus when any stat/timer calls for heat the boiler switches on.

Pump is fed from boiler. Thus pump only turns on when there's a call for heat. Only turns off when all stats satisfied AND boiler run-on times out.

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Sorry LD - ok m8 will answer later. Will have a delve through a schematic or summit.

Being serious things can become so samey that questions are not asked as to what is happening within the system. Then again when its done you get ure money, so perhaps let the designers do the design stuff, and the fitters do there stuff and get the clams.

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Lectros got it, not obvious at first but one chanel can't switch off until the other does. i have often seen systems wired this way and often the user never realises that the system isn't working as it should.

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

.You just use the greys which sometimes go through the orange LD - why would people mess about doing it other ways?

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I think it does Lec..perhaps you have misinterpreted me or summit.

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Flippin heck JP, they use the grey and orange and they think ' cor blimy I avs a live here to da switch why boffer with another , clock says go , power to switch and linked to motor --job done they thinks

17. J.P.

J.P. New Member

A convention is a set of agreed, stipulated or generally accepted standard/s, thus if you depart from this you might end up with a part or non functioning system.

So with ref to the above..convention = function

I rest my case.

18. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I don't really know LD - have only ever followed those diagrams and just put wires in the center. I suppose it would be nice to know alternatives and work stuff out, but I dunno really after finishing work the last thing you want do is hack diagrams and stuff.

Although I did do a quick diagram once for the forum a long time back it was with ref to a frost stat on pipe if I remember correctly,..you showed quite a lot of interest in it actually LD..one of the rare serious moments on the forum back then.

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Right I think I understand what you mean LD. Sometimes they pull a live of the orange because the valve contacts were closed, and they found a PD on the said with neon and thought it was a perm live or something?

If they pulled off the grey though it would be a perm live but then that suggests they must be bypassing something because the wiring is faffed and stuff?

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You dont have harp on sometimes JP.

You said follor convention, or don't follow convention.  Well one way would work, and one wouldn't (going by Lokkars 'question').  Hence me saying it's function, not convention, meaning it will function or it wont. Did you notice the smiley? 

When you hit "Add Reply", how long does your mind tick over for before you then decide to post again?