Heating oil

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Heating oil, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Heating oil

Heating oil New Member

i have a oil fired boiler that runs on 28 second kerosene, it started making groaning noises one morning and then timed out and stopped working. i gave it an overhaul changed(inline filter,electrodes, O ring seals).
    i noticed the filter in the pump, the nozzle filter and jet was clogged with a red tar, i cleaned these and the boiler started and ran like a dream for 5 days, then the groaning started again.
    so i checked the filter in the pump, the nozzle filter and jet and they were clogged again with this red tar.
    The up shot is this, i have to now clean the filters every 2 days to keep it running.
    the tank was new and put in march 2009 and the first oil was put in at the end of march and it has run fine until dec 09.
    any ideas?

2. gsmann

gsmann New Member

run some fuel into a glass jar and let it settle for a while, then check for water or other contamination.

3. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Contamination? or the wrong heating oil delivered to your property, probably class D instead of class C. pump pressures etc will be set up for kerosene.

4. beentheredoneit

beentheredoneit New Member

I don't know if this is you'r problem but I was called to a job with a similar problem, I finally found out it was the oil suppliers delivery vehicle that had been serviced and all the hoses and fittings were sealed with red stag paste, this was getting dragged into tanks when being filled I had to clean out six of my clients tanks, filters, pumps etc. cheers kev.

5. graceland

graceland Active Member

what a lovely job lol

6. Heating oil

Heating oil New Member

hi kev

what you have described sounds like my problem.
    iv have been baffled by this problem for some time and your the first person to shed some proper light on it.

i got 500lts delivered in march 09 but did not use the heating much till Oct 09 it was in November that the boiler started playing up.
    i have contacted the oil company 3 time now and they not giving me much satisfaction about it, however i will ring them in the morning and see about this red stag paste.
    your clients that had this happen to them, did they get reimbursed for the contaminated oil?

thanks
    Aidan

7. BFO

BFO New Member

It sounds to me like it's highly likely this is the problemo here caused for fuel contamination of your alt="fuel contamination kerosene">kerosene.

Message was edited by: Administrator