MOVING A OLD BOILER

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rex, Oct 8, 2011.

1. rex

rex Guest

Hi, i am currently having a kitchen extension at home, we have a boiler which is approx 6 years old and still in good working order,which needs to be located to the new part of the extension. but the builder has told us that old boilers are not allowed by law (corgi/gas safe) to be moved and is recommending us to have a new one, could someone clarify this for me please.  THANKS

2. gib.son

gib.son New Member

there's no law against moving an existing boiler, but the problem you might meet is that, in taking out the boiler the flue might break or not be long enough for the new position, you won't be able to get a replacement flue, unless you do a lot of seaching round for one in forgotton store cupboard in a plumbers merchants,

3. xbg

xbg New Member

It is true that the flue MAY be damaged or too short,  but the builder is either misinformed or lying.

4. xbg

xbg New Member

What is the boiler?

5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Member

It's a thing that heats the water.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

7. samari

samari New Member

I agree with the others, as long as the boiler is in good working order and when it gets moved a good check of the boiler is done, no problem. however the flue must not be used.Buy a new one.you could find one on the net or from the manufacture always remember safety first

8. xbg

xbg New Member

There is no reason to ditch the old flue, providing it comes out of the wall okay, which is a bit of a challenge, and providing the length is okay. Anyway, it looks as if Rex has lost interest.

9. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Member

Tsk, I suspect what the OP has been told is that, once you remove a boiler, the replacement has to be a condescending type. I think you'll find that's the issue involved here. 'Cos there's nothing wrong with a second-hand boiler as such.

In which case, just move the *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator