Restoration Comedy

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CunningLinguist, Nov 2, 2011.

1. CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist New Member

Hiya. I'm restoring a high-level cistern to use in place of the current crappy plastic slimline low one. The cistern in question is a Japkap one, wood with lead lining. I've restored the box and sourced suitable tank connector for supply inlet. Haven't tested the existing syphon yet but would like to replace it anyway, with one having an internal overflow, to avoid piping an external overflow. So, I've a few questions for the experts:

1. am I likely to be able to get such a replacement syphon to fit and is my best chance of doing so to dismantle existing one and show it to my nearest plumbers centre?

2. I can't find one part anywhere - and I've been trying, on and off, for a year or more - it's the nut which will connect the flushpipe to the syphon outlet. Not the backnut to conect the syphon to the cistern.
    I bellive some people call it a syphon nut, others call it a flushpipe coupling nut and others just call me a nut. Ideally, I'd like a brass one but if all else fails a plastic one will do and I'll use some enamel paint to disguise it.  I believe it'd need to be a 1.25" rather than a 1.5".

3. For aesthetic reasons, I'd like the flushpipe to be in copper, rather than plastic - does anyone supply such a beast in this size?  I've scoured reclamation yards but can only find lead or, worse still, have ben pointed in the direction of overexpensive moern chrome/d replacements.  This lot is going in an old farmhouse, so I don't want it to look like the Ritz!  I'd happily pay a local plumber to play with his bender to make me one if I knew I'd then be able to couple it up ok.

I know many of you will say the old gear disappeared for a reason and I should embrace the new, but I won't, so all advice on toiletry time-travel would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

try here http://www.homeofchrome.co.uk/low_high_level_chrome_flush_pipes?b=1
    despite the trading name they claim they can supply polished copper, not just chromed to your requirements.

Have to say, the thought of bending 35mm copper on my tripod bender brings me out in a cold sweat, blooming hard work even with a short bit of scaffold pole on the handle.

DH

3. CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist New Member

Thanks for that tip - I've emailed them for more info, though it looks like they skip 32mm as they leap from 28mm to 35mm.
    In the meantime I've found a supplier of 1.25" syphon nut - Partridges of Hadleigh - but I'm wondering if I could save myself a lot of hassle and just bore the cistern outlet out to 1.5" and fit a cheapo syphon from Screwfix such as the Opella ( 20824) ?