problem with gu10 lamps..help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by meggerman, Nov 12, 2011.

1. meggerman

meggerman Guest

i have recently fitted sylvania 230v 50w fixed fire rated downlight's which came with sylvania lamp's bought from screwfix 47077 to a mate's new 2 bedroom extension.six downlight's have been fitted in each room.the light's have been in less than a month and already four or five lamp's have gone already with the first fitting on the circuit in each room being one of them.a spare lamp was fitted to the first fitting in one of the room's which went again.i asked a work mate about this and he said he had fitted gu10's at a job and the lamp was going with the first fitting on the circuit with him also.anyone got any idea's why these lamp's are going and how to solve it???

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

It's probably induced voltage,

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Must admit on my rewire always went into infinity on the IR test, apart from when I did a test on the old circuit which cannot be taken out at present..it was the wallights in front room which caused the different reading..the bulbs were still in, I forgot to take them out and they were ont old circuit..:|

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Flipping heck LD..must admit your posts do make me laugh - 

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Learn something from this JP - Don't go using GU10's in your loft.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Ok thanks for that Lec - funnily enough I was contemplating using two racks of four GU 10's instead of the two 5ft florries..but will now abort this contemplation. Cheers Lec..:)

7. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

4ft, they're cheaper !

8. pearcy

pearcy New Member

golden rule never use gu10 you will be very very lucky to get 2k hours out of a lamp,low voltage every time ..unless led ,s are in the budget..

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

JP GU10s in the loft ! ?

10. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I'd agree with you there Pearcy. I couldn't understand it when the branded GU10s on a kitchen light I installed for a friend kept blowing. Every few weeks they'd go, yet my GU5s last months, years actually.