Large and Heavy loft access hatch any ideas for a safe opening mechanism

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by 00naz, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 00naz

00naz New Member

Hi,

I have an large and heavy access hatch to my loft. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good, safe opening mechanism that I could use on it.

I have tried putting two hinges on it so that it swings down, but because of its size and weight, it could be very dangerous because it would swing down quickly to head height!! I was going to use a pole and a hook, but its still quite dangerous if the hook should slip and the full weight of the hatch would come swinging down.

The hatch can't really be much lighter because of the size and if it was thinner it would likely distort.

Could I use a pulley or springs? If so, how would I go about it?

Thanks in advance
    Naz

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi 00naz,
    I suppose that assuming you have enough clearance in the loft it might be possible to fit a spacer to one side (or both depending how wide it is) to sit flush with the loft floor then fix a weighted counter balance to lay along the floor when closed.  That could be weighted to make the hatch balance almost neutral.

As you say springs or a pulley with weights on are other options but possibly a bit more complex to set up, I did do something similar once with a pulley fitted to the rafters but the cord was a pain to dodge getting stuff in and out of the loft.

Regards,
    teabreak

3. 200arty

200arty New Member

Wear a hard hat!

4. paulo333

paulo333 Member

A few possibilities:

(- better be quick to view though 'cos Screwfix moderator does not tolerate competition)

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

5. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

Some more detail would help. But in general it sounds as if its been made to big and heavy and is unsuitable for where it is and what is has to do.

If it seems like its a danger then you need to secure it asap. At least get some eye hooks and rope on the inside , so it doesn't come crashing down.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd use a bungee myself. It would need to be the length of the door plus half the length again, and attached at least the length of the door away at a 45º angle to the hinge rafter(about 30º from ¼ inwards from the closing edge of the door-where it is attached to an eye-hook). It should be stretched whilst in the loft and attached to say a purlin when it is just allowing the door to drop a few inches. When the door is hanging down, the tension should not be able to pull the door back up again until the door is part closed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really