Soldering near plastic fittings

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by agvhartley, Nov 29, 2011.

1. agvhartley

agvhartley New Member

Now then, was wondering how far away from a plastic pushfit fitting it is feasable to solder, i have about a gap of about 6 inches of copper between the speedfit fitting and the fitting i want to solder, if this is a bit risky? I can use compression but soldering would look better

Any thoughts??

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Use a heat resistant mat especially designed to use between easily damage sorroundings.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. KOKEY

KOKEY New Member

6 inches you should be ok, but dont keep the flame on the fitting to long, and cool it down with a water spray as soon as your done.

4. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I have been in this situation several times. My solution is to wrap a wet (old!) tea cloth around the plastic fitting. Providing the cloth doesn't dry out the fitting can only reach a max of 100 Deg C. I'm assuming the plastic fitting and the solder job are on the same run of pipe.  Mr. Handyandy seems to think its a different run of pipe - in which case his answer is correct! (but you can still use my method!)

diymostthings

5. agvhartley

agvhartley New Member

Yeah the fitting and the solder job are on the same run of pipe work, the only problem is there will be no acess to the plastic fitting as it is under the floor of the cylinder cupboard so i cant check when done to see if its melted the fitting!!!

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ah, i see. The same run. I would have suggested disconnecting the plastic fitting, but now you've said no access, can't do that. 

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. agvhartley

agvhartley New Member

I think I will play it safe and use compression!!!

8. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

any suggestions?

9. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

As far I am concerned its not the pushfit fittings that is at risk its the 'O' ring that may become overheated with both heat conductance along the length of copper (a damp cloth wrapped around close to the push fit may help) and the super heated gases that the soldering process generates, they will travel in both directions.

could you not use 'Tectite' push-fit as a alternative to compression? they are made of copper and not too clunky in appearance.

DH

10. gib.son

gib.son New Member