What Jig,what router?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hevs Dad, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Hevs Dad

Hevs Dad New Member

This has probably been covered but what kitchen jig and router combination should I buy.
    I have an unused B&Q pro 1250 watt router at the mo.
    Can I get away with this for work tops using shallow cuts until I can afford a decent router. If so then I could afford the large Trend jig.
    Or is it best to go for say the Screwfix jig and get a new router.What about the Axminster Jig?
    I wont be fitting very many kitchens at the mo'so its a cost thing.

Has anyone used one of the jigs for sale on ebay?

Regards,
    Hevs Dad.

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

don't spend £250 on a jig, spend the £150 saving on upgrading your router

3. fnuggit

fnuggit New Member

Try http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk they supply an identical jig to Screwfix but at about £44, or hire the trend jig get some clear acrylic,tufnol, or even MDF, and using a ball bearing template cutter with your router copy the thing CAREFULLY!
    Trend sell replacement location bushes for £6 odd plus vat.

4. glen-uk

glen-uk New Member

Hi Hevs Dad

I bid and won worktop jig on ebay £60.00 It was made for Howdens, part of MFI It work a treat. The Company go's u
    under the name tool-direct Have a look see what you think

Hope this helps Glen

5. nomad

nomad New Member

Get rid of the so called "pro" router. I thought i'd be clever and get one for site work to save my decent ones. The friction stop on the depth adjustment failed on both the original and the replacement and I was lucky to not wreck the worktop. I bought the freud 1900 watt which does the job without too much effort

I can also recommend car body filler to repair the jig if it gets damaged