Is my RCD working properly?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Tagliarini, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Paul Tagliarini

Paul Tagliarini New Member

Hi,

I have a double plug socket in the garden with built in RCD. My brother was cutting the grass and he accidently cut the Lawnmower cable but the RCD did not trip. He then picked up the cable and electrocuted himself and it still did not trip.  He is fine as it only gave him a little tingle but surly the RCD should have tripped. I pressed the test button and that does trip the RCD but should my brothers efforts tripped the RCD, is it working properly?

Thanks

Paul

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Not funny really pal 

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It depends if 30mA managed to flow through him...

He may well have recieved a nasty shock, but it may not have allowed enough current to flow to trip the RCD.  Each person is different, and every scenario is different - the shoes, boots, what your stood on, what your holding.

Get a sparky out to test the RCD if you want.

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Its a wind up Lec..ok we all like to goat about on the forum but some things are not on

5. Moses

Moses Member

Why don't you take the blue wire in your left hand and the brown in your right hand and switch the power on.

If the RCD does not trip after 5 seconds then it is probably faulty.

Get a competant electrician to test it.

But then, if the button on the RCD does not trip it, then it could be faulty?

You test at your own risk, i'm not responsible for the above.

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

7. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

How nice to hear that someone has survived electrocution..............

Death can be fatal...........

Lucia.

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

PORT ANGELES, Wash. (AP) ? Two bald eagles were electrocuted and died when they landed on parallel power lines in Port Angeles causing a minor power outage.
    The Peninsula Daily News reports that the two eagles that died Friday were an adult and a juvenile. Both eagles fell to the ground on the eastern sidewalk of Cedar Street.
    Officer John Nutter, who assisted at the scene, said that the pair also dropped a portion of a chicken. He thought they had been fighting over it.

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

BBQ'd Eagle eh?

Not sure I fancy that!

10. Moses

Moses Member

No sine

Mixed barbecue!!

11. Paul Tagliarini

Paul Tagliarini New Member

For the record JP it was not a wind up it was a serious question, thanks for your response Lectrician

12. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You might think you're being funny Moses but you're just showing your ignorance of rcd operation! Holding on to the blue & brown wires wouldn't trip the rcd anyway, an rcd won't respond to leakage between L-N. If the OP's "electrocution" was from L-N that would be why the rcd didn't trip.

14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Shockered.