Lost me USBs.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Devil's Advocate, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Well, Nan has.

Pooter was coming up with a black screen showing processor details and listing the SATAs - hard and DVD drives, etc, and then 'Keyboard failure'.

It's a wireless Logitech jobbie and none of the lights on the receiver were coming on. I hoiked out t'pooter from its beautiful, custom-made desk (shucks...) and started yanking at the cables going in to the USBs on its bottom. On my third or fourth insertion, the li'l lights on the receiver came on. After rebooting, all was seemingly well.

However, I can only get this one of the 4 USBs on the rear to work and only one of the four on t'front seems to register any life too.

Wha't'fuff?

Pretty obvious it's not a physical fault - brokkie wires an' 'a' - so what can cause this? Is it something weird with BIOS not engaging the USBs? Caused by a failing m'board battery, perhaps? (Ok, I'm trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about...)

Ta much.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the more you think about pooters and stuff, the I'm convinced aliens are involved with the making of them, I don't understand a single word about the above post, yet a man of your standing, highly educated, almost egg head status with degree's and joined up writing caperbilities, don't know, then who does ?

anyrode I goin't pub,

si thi laters, yea

3. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

I concur with Tompus.....

"I hope this helps".................

I'm also goin' dahn the pub.......

Lucia x

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

If I miss you Lucy, I pay for you a gee and tee behind 't bar,

5. I sooooo want to go to the pub. :'(

('caperbilities' - that I like )

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

What make is the computer DA?
    One way round it for now would be to just plug in a standard PS2 keyboard and mouse, instead of these fancy wireless jobbies. (had one with a computer some years ago and it was the first thing to go wrong with it) I know this doesn't solve the problem of the USB Ports not working, but at least the keyboard will work. Let us know the model and make of the pooter and I'll see what I can find out for you. ;)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

check the wires from the usb ports to the motherboard, also check all drivers are up to date.

8. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Excuse me dears, we'll have no more silly talk about fiddling with UBS plugs and stuff: This thread is about me and Tomps goin't pub of a Friday evening......

Tomp dear:  Forget the Tonic Water - just make it a double Gin - with a cherry on a stick.........

'Motherboards' indeed!

Lucia x

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sometimes a device will only work in the usb port it was installed in.

Put it back in the port it came from, go to Device Manager(look for keyboards or look under usb devices for keyboards/HID devices) and uninstall the keyboard(make sure you have your mouse working). Don't shutdown/restart. Instead, while in device manager, right-click Computer, choose 'scan for hardware changes' and let your pute reinstall the keyboard.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. JJ, it's a Dell Inspiron 531 (the AMD type).

Even tho' the wirelss reciever has a PS2 plug, the computer doesn't. Anyways, it's working again, strangely by plugging it into a different USB. That's the only USB on its rear wot's working, and also only one on t'front out of 4.

Cap'n, yes, that should be something to try as first port of call, but I can;t be arrised as I 'know' it ain't that; it's a computer-being-silly-for-no-obvious-reason fault.

Mr Ha - a bit of surfing did throw up thaqt kind of approach - uninstalling the USB drivers and then rebooting to allow the stupid machine to find the barstewards again. I might try something similar, but I just know I'll be left up t'creek without paddle. Since they share the receiver, both keyboard and mouse work together disable one and t'other goes too.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

so I've just got in from 't pub, sorry i missed you lucy, i left a gee and tee, and the bar maid said , " would you like to leave a nipple twist as well" I agreed to do so, so she reached over and twisted my right nipple, :eek:.

full story tomorrow,

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Haha. She must've felt a right t!t.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. joinerjohn1

You should have asked the barmaid if she wanted a "slippery nipple". ;)

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Sheldon and Co

15. Excuse me dears, we'll have no more silly talk of ohwhatthehell...

16. Looks like the pooter decided to 'install missing drivers' this morn as it was turned on. I inserted my stick into the front USBs and, sure enough, it lit up.

Nan thinks I'm brill.

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Poor dear....

18. joinerjohn1

You ought to be careful DA,, I think there's a law against "Inserting your stick" into any IT appliance.