Large tool box/chest

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by coggy, Apr 4, 2004.

1. coggy

coggy New Member

Hi
    Does anyone have a realy large tool box/ chest/ that you can fit all your hand tools in. Im after one that i can keep everything together and fill my tool bag from for each job. It must be big with maybe drawers etc and would be great if you could get it in the back of a transit van.

Can anyone provide a link to a store that sells them ??

Please dont say make one because i really have not got the time ;)

Thanks
    Coggy

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

You must want a box that needs a forklift to carry coggy.
    It depends how many hand tools you need to carry to sites.
    The Studley toolchest at a museum in USA was made for hand tools & needs 3 men to lift onto its wall fixing.
    My old wooden toolmakers chest weighed 10kilo empty & a lot more when full of tools. I could hardly carry it.
    Woodworking tools will be a lot bigger & heavier than my engineering kit. The last thing you want is chisels & router bits etc rolling about & losing their edges.

3. coggy

coggy New Member

Dewy

Yes im looking for something that will stay in the back of the van, so wont be carried around. Then i can just fill my tool bag with the tools i need at each job and then back in the box.

I will be getting 2 Protecta tool storages 810x360x355 from Axminster which can be bolted in the back of the van. These might do if i then get a chisel roll, drill bit rolls etc and place them in lose.

When i get my premises it wont be a problem because i can store all the tools there and take what i need for the day. I was just after any ideas about storing my tools in the van all together before i get the premises which could be a while. I don't want tools here, there and everywhere because i will then spend half my day looking for this tool and that, so im trying to organize things before i go shopping in 4 weeks time.:) :)

Any suggestions please post.

Thanks
    Coggy

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Make sure your tools are well secured & insured.
    It's heartbreaking losing the kit you need to work.
    My dad bought me a 0-1" mic when I started in engineering. Some B***d stole it out of my tool chest 30 years ago & I never found anything as good & still miss it today.

5. ColG

ColG New Member

Hi Coggy

They showed Thomas Chippendales toolchest on the tele tonight - what a work of art - full of hadsaws, chisels, planes etc. It was almost the size of a coffin.

Col

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Ex-army surplus ammo boxes are just what you need.

Made from steel and usually around 300x300x750 (must be common ammo)

normally around £5 from e-bay or boot sales, auto-jumbles etc.