More New Rules

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by LSpark, Apr 7, 2004.

1. LSpark

LSpark New Member

currently theres a ban on colour blind people working on electrical systems, this is now planned to be removed!, due to disability rights commission ideas, and also down to the new cable colours!, this apparantly helping colour blind people.

thought this might interest 1 or 2 people who might already by colour blind and are or are not alrdy working in electrics,be interesting to see what comes of this aswell.

LS

2. plugwash

plugwash New Member

seems dangerous to me

while the new codes may be better in this regard the old codes are still in wide use and will remain so for many years

3. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

LS can you re-write that meesage in a different colour I can't see what ya writing! lol

4. LSpark

LSpark New Member

true pluggles, np big ears lol

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Fcuknig madness.

Whilst it is regrettable that some disabilities preclude some fields of employment, going all PC and trying not to upset people by admitting that they can't do something because of their disability is stupid. Particularly with something safety related like cable colours. So on the one hand we have Part P which will save 1 life every 2 years, and colourblind sparkies which will.....??

What next? Registered blind airline pilots? Steeplejacks with vertigo? Paraplegic roofers? Plumbers with "severe learning disability"? Hang on - we've already got those.....

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Of course, it's always possible that LS's calendar is 6 days slow... ;)

7. LSpark

LSpark New Member

my calendar is not wrong ty lol, this is quite simple. its ment to be that any 1 witha disability IF they can complete there job and are capable etc with no problems, they employers CANNOT discriminate, letting people with colour blindess work is not the same, i completely agree with disabilty discrimination if people can do there job, with regard to this new rule coming in i DONT!

8. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

LMAO BAS!! a have a lot of plumber friends do ya - or is DID have?

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

It's OK - they can't read.

10. ColG

ColG New Member

I once knew a colour blind painter - he used to get the customer to put a mark on the colour chart and corresponding wall so he knew which paint went where!!!

Col

11. LSpark

LSpark New Member

lol, that has to have causes problems somewhere or another

12. LSpark

LSpark New Member

caused* problems someplace* or another :/

13. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Two guys I was at school with were turned down for sparkie apprentiships because they were colour-blind.

Just wondering how colour-blind drivers fare at traffic lights?

14. LSpark

LSpark New Member

dont ask my why or how i know this, but apparantly its OK for them because UK traffic lights are always same postion I.E 3 in a row, the top is always going to be RED etc etc. so normaly this is not an issue.

15. LSpark

LSpark New Member

and and we got a chap turned down because the teacher found out he was colour blind to some degree

16. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Isn't it only some similar colours they get confused with? don't ask me which ones but something like blue and purple, i know thats no good if your a sparks but red ,amber and green may be ok

17. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Not sure but we were tested at every annual company medical.

Red and green colur-blindness is quite common, hence being a sparkie if you have this complaint is a no-no.

18. LSpark

LSpark New Member

i actualy have no idea since im not colour blind nor do i personaly know any 1 who is, but i do know that it varies in differnt people, (source IEE) <-- says that 1 in 10 have some minor discrepency with colour, but like the proper colour blind is like 1 in 10,000. no idea which colours tho......

19. Fumbletrumpet

Fumbletrumpet New Member

Someone I once knew, who was colourblind, told me that he saw reds and greens as grey, but slightly different shades. So, if we replace the red/blue/yellow phases with brown/black/grey, could this mean that a whole lot of problems ? or just more mixed phases ? Black looks like black, so I'll connect that to the neutral, grey looks like red, so these two together, brown might be like yellow, but might be like something else. Hang on, that 'other' blue one is a neutral isn't it ? oh well, here goes. Slam the door. Right, off to plumb the blue water main to the yellow gas line now........, or is that the brown oil feed pipe.... hey, its hard to know what's what these days isn't it. Sorry folks, but brown/grey/black seem like they might be seen as three different shades of grey ? Can anyone shed some light on the grey area ?

20. LSpark

LSpark New Member

lol fumple, exactly!