Heating Engineers job?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ilikethislady, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

Just out of interest....
    Heating engineer called out to where I was working today, he was told the immersion heater wasn't working, so he replaced the element, then said you have a fault with your electrics as it keeps blowing the fuse in the fused spur feedng the element and that you would need to call in an electrician, of he goes with £150.

She was telling me that it was going to cost a fortune getting a sparkie in after paying out £150, so I said I'll take a quick look and try and work out where the fault is...I opened the airing cupboard door to see quiet clearly that the switched fused spur was cracked from top to bottom making the switch near on impossible to flick, 15 minutes later I had replaced the FCU and it's was fine.

Should the heating engineer have changed this connection unit?.

AW

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

he's not allowed unless he posseccess a part p cert, he's allowed to wire up an existing element from a exisiting spur, but if it needs isolating from the consumer unit, then its a sparks job, course we all know this and do it anyway, but if things went wrong, It could mean trouble,

3. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

Thanks tom.plum,
    Guess he's doing what he's allowed to do and no more...
    AW

4. tightenit

tightenit New Member

£150 sheets to change an immersion element! Theyr,e only a dozen quid. Goodness me. So you did the job, pat on the back, and now take responsibility for it.There's helpful and there's  helpful. Quite often an existing fault  can be masked by changing the element. If it pops again.....hope you're covered.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I agree. £60 to supply and fit an immersion!

6. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Depends how long it takes sure enough. Some can be tricky depending on location and boxing in or straight forward drain down. But even so in these parts thats nearly 2 days labour, or for quite a few other folk also driving the economy forward 3 days labour!!

7. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

Yeah I can take it, covered as well as long as the 13amp FCU works as it should or the newly fitted consumer unit works properly...

AW