Adding spurs to the ring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wb1627, Oct 19, 2012.

1. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

I'm wiring my extension (yes BC are aware) and am dropping the ring down to sockets on the walls above the worktop for kettle, toaster etc. I need to go below the worktop and behind the units to be fitted to provide power for a dishwasher and a water softener. Can I add a spur to two sockets (different sockets) on the same ring else the box is going to be crowded with wires?

Thanks 

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

So what you are going to do is as follows : -

Spur off the sockets already in place and use one for the dishwasher, and t'other one for the water softener, all below worktop?

How far is your Consumer Unit away from the said items you are proposing to fit off the spurs WB?

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi wb1627

If you install a fused connection unit fitted with a 13A fuse to feed them yes you can.  Without that you would need to increase the cable size of the spur to 4mm2 and that may be difficult to fit into the boxes.

Kind regards

BS

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the two existing sockets are on the ring circuit, add one extra socket to each of the existing ones.

5. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Hi JP, sorry it wasn't that clear. New ring circuit in the kitchen from the CU. The wires will drop down from the ceiling to a double socket and then back up and along to the next drop and so forth to complete the ring. From two of the double sockets (on the ring drop) I want to add a spur to a single socket below the worktop. I could make it part of the ring circuit but this would mean 4 sets of wires in the rear of the socket which may be cramped?

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Didnt see that one Seneca.  Misread and thought he was feeding 2 spured sockets from 1 on the ring.

Kind regards

BS

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why can't you run on down 'through' the double(not connecting), to the socket below, then back up connecting 'to' the double on the way back ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

No probs doing what you say wb in principal. But that old nutmeg ''Readily Accessible Isolation'' rears its head and perhaps the two examples below might negate this ''supposed necessity''

1 - The dishwasher switch itself is the readily accessible electrical negator - or the DB mcb switch might be classed also as a negator.

2 - A switched socket feeding the water softener is again an electrical negator.

If I was doing electrics for a customer I would have to think about readily accessible isolation and come to a conclusion as to wether my deployment satisfies regs..hence why I have raised the point.

You know all that old stuff.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not a bad idea Handy except that he'll have to join the cables in the top back-box to run down to the lower sockets so better to spur i'd say.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

He can run it down through the top box without cutting them, can't he?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

According to his original post I thought the sockets are already there but reading it again maybe not? My appologies Handy!

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Fab to see the old 4mm cable bollix is still doing the rounds :)