Cordless drill / impact driver help.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukjon10, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ukjon10

ukjon10 New Member

Good evening all.

I currently use the makita 18v lithium ion LXT drill driver and impact driver which I think are a good pair of drills.
    The only problem I have found is that the batteries are rubbish, after a while they stop accepting charge. Whilst makita have replaced them free of charge up to now, the time is going to come where they tell me to jog on.
    Can anyone reccomended a good set of cordless drills which are reliable especially the batteries.
    I want to stay away of from makita due to the troubles I am having. I am looking at defaultĀ  18v lithium ion, festool or any others you may reccomended.
    I am a joiner, so the drills get a bit of stick drilling locks and screwing in 100mm screws.

Your help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

My work mate has the same problem with his makita, I use the the dewalt older style, excellent bit of kit, don't know why they had to mess about with the new style, never have a problem with battery life......

3. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

I got rid of all my Makita battery tools years ago. The batteries failed way too soon on all of them.

I use Bosch Professional and Millwaukee now and both are 5 years old. Still on the original batteries, still going strong and get used 6 days a week.

Snezza.

4. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

Makita rubbish, I used a pair of Dewalt impact and screwdriver set the other, they had just been bought from screwfix on offer, brillant bit of kit only 10.6 volt as well, dont know about the batterys though....

Prefer Milwaukee myself

AW

5. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    how about going for another less popular brand? i have had a hilti drill/impact set for over 5 years lithion stuff, and its the bomb! cost more to start with but well worth every penny and also the festool all in one driver/impact the batteries last ages and are hard to beat and you have different batteries on chargeĀ  to everybody else, less chance of them going missing!

6. ukjon10

ukjon10 New Member

Cheers for the advice, swaying towards festool c15 at the mo, just the price that's a stumbling block.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

New brand to the market but have a bit of experience of Stanley Fatmax kit. They are fantastic value for money in my opinion. Not saying for a second day they are Hilti or Festool standard but I have been using their planer, jigsaw and multicutter for a couple of months and have been very pleased certainly as good as Blue Bosch and a lot cheaper. Cases aren't great though. Might be worth a consider. I certainly am in the market for an impact driver and will be considering their offering for definite.