Fitting Blind To Metal Door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Reckoner, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Reckoner

Reckoner New Member

Hi,
    I want to fit a blind to our kitchen door. The door is metal with two glass panels. I am a bit worried about drilling the door in case I damage it. How far above the glass should I drill the holes ?

2. Reckoner

Reckoner New Member

[​IMG] Here is a picture of the door

3. Reckoner

Reckoner New Member

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Drilling above the moulding around the widows should be OK - your door will not open properly though as the blind brackets will foul the wall. Why not apply tinted or privacy film to the glass?

5. gormac

gormac New Member

I've got an identical front door to that.
    When I moved in, it had a roller blind fitted.
    No problems there, but the wall the door opens onto was badly marked where the blind had been fouling.
    I removed the whole thing, filled the holes and fitted frosted film from B&Q.
    Looks a lot better, retains the light getting through the glass and no poxy blind to worry about.
    Don't do it!

6. Alvin11

Alvin11 New Member

Drill at the top of the door to make glass safe and fine from drilling. I think use blind brackets which make you fine in proper working.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you the person in charge of writing the flat-pack instructions?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

See if you can find a curtain track that can actually be screwed straight to the door, rather than those that sit proud on lumpy brackets. You have about 10mm at the side of the hinges, so try to find one that won't protrude further than that. And yes, glass would almost NEVER be further out than the edge of the beads.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    you know what andy for once i agree with you, what was that? re alvin btw!