Kitchen Condensation Problem

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by thursdayschild, Oct 28, 2012.

1. thursdayschild

thursdayschild New Member

We bought a house a few months ago and the kitchen clearly has a condensation issue, the external walls are running with water after cooking anything producing small amounts of steam, opening the window helps, but does not seem to stop the walls getting damp.

There are vents above the window which are always open and essentially a hole (pretty crudely made when I look through the duct) in the external wall at one end of the kitchen with a vent over it.

Obviously it needs better ventilation that the previous residents had, I can see two solutions:

Option 1 Fit an extractor fan to an external wall, possibly enlarging the vent the previous owners had made.  Although getting electrics to that end might be annoying.

Option 2 Turn the cooker hood (or more likely buy a new one) and use it as a proper extractor (rather than useless filter) and vent it along the top of kitchen cupboards and into the wall about 2.5m away new hole in the wall, slight annoyance that it will be a meter or so away from the existing vent which I will feel I should seal up than have two vents about 1.5 m apart... I can't reuse it as it would mean the output pipe going downwards drop beacuse of a drop from the kitchen cupboards as well as running along the wall which would look ugly boxed in or not...

Essentially I am trying to weigh up the best solution, I am not sure if a proper wall extractor is better, or if I can simply fit a better cooker hood.  Or if there is another solution?  Possible idea of an inline extractor using the hood and acting as a general extractor...

All advice is appreciated.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Any extractor fan is better than none. Ideally revise the cooker hood and fit a proper extracting hood. Try and add some permananet warmth to the room too, condensation is warm air hiting cold walls.

3. Max09

Max09 New Member

Hi dear...
    Really nice information about kitchen condensation problem, dear, i also want to say something about kitchen condensation problem, dear, before read your comments, i don't know about kitchen condensation problem, but after read your comment, i have some proper information about kitchen condensation problem, it's really nice, and keep it up dear....

kitchen equipment brisbane

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

keep it up dear....

5. kitchenhouse

kitchenhouse New Member

It is unlikely that a home in the UK will never suffer from condensation as most of us do not want to keep our windows open particularly when it is cold outside. If you have a condensation problem, look at our condensation treatment solutions below and select the one that best suits your needs.