It's dead on here...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by G Brown, Jun 22, 2011.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

much as i don't want to, i agree with walter on this topic.

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I second.
    I can * on ere and say anyfing I likes, and no one will be any de wiser;)

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It WAS the best forum until Screwfix "improved" It :(

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Good bye folks!

I've had enough on this deader than a dead thing on a dead night forum.....

I won't be back. :(

....unless Lucy returns.

5. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I  wouldn't say it's dead just not much life left. I have tried the diynot.com forum and they are a miserable lot I haven't had one decent laugh on there but on here well it's one laugh a minute, and we are all very civil to each other if someone drop a clanger with advice, on that site I get scared to say anything or I get my head bitten off. I promis I won't moan at anybody until after xmas.:)

6. **** - if GB is leaving, then I'm going too.

(Has he gone yet?)

Good.

HELLOOOOO FOLKS!!!

cough

(Missing you already...)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Sad.

Another plumber gone.

Soon it will just be DA and the loonies.....

.....well.....just the loonies then.... :(

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

...and if its not still and silent like a graveyard its just plain boring....... :'(

We need Dickie, and Lucy, and Bathstlye and G Brown and all those good contributors to come back.

Screwfix have delivered a masterclass in killing a good forum stone dead. :(

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

perhaps screwfix alex or screwfix peter can do something to help?:(

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Pffft! They have not made any positive contributions since they started faffing about - all they have done is ban Lucy and made things more dreary. :(

11. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

If she got banned than what do I have to avoid saying so that doesn't happen to me? also I did an experiment, I did a web google search for a boiler problem to see where it took me, guess what good old diy thingy. So that is how they end up more active than here. anyway if something is dead it can't be any deader, dead is dead end of story.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

peter quite a few of us have been banned from here with no reason given, myself included, admin do as they like without having to answer to anyone, that drove a lot from here, we had a lot of experianced plumbers on here before admin started their little axe swinging antics,
    anyrode I got banned over there too, yea the doughnuts, they wont tell me why but I'm not bothered, they are a miserable lot over there, Its like being in a dentists waiting room,

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

If dead is the final curtain. End of. Kaput. Finished? 

Then this is the bit after it...and it ain't heaven. :(

Hell?

14. SF have delivered a masterclass in killing a forum? How? I just don't see it.

This new forum is what the regulars asked for many moons ago.

What does a DIY forum require? It requires a group of helpful, knowledgeable peeps, willing to give a bit of time. Does it have this? Well, pretty much 'yes'. Tho' we could do with more.

We still have the regulars such as the ever helpful Mr Plum, now ably 'assisted' by newbie Peter. If the likes of the Cap'n and GB could just get over themselves a bit, then they might end up a bit more helpful too...

In the Builder's area, we have Cotswold and others who give direct, solid, impartial advice with no gripes, prejudice or 'big'ing themselves up. No egos. No point-scoring. Just the type of solid fellow you'd want to have working on your house. And the sparks have their troups as well. If they could only put their handbags down for a minute and try and give straight answers that are aimed at the OP's level (what is it about sparks that makes them try and pretend they are working at a 'higher' level than the rest of us, eh? Sheesh.) And when Looch was there, it was simply the best spark's forum on the planet... :'(

With the bonus of the watching the male participants of that foum squirm at her superior knowledge.

But what does this forum have that it could do without?! Fragile egos, for one. To stop the endless b!tching that detracts from the OP's query. Jeepers, new peeps must look on here and wonder if they dare ask a question...

What else could it do without? Silly trolls. With the emphasise on 'silly'. The pitiful fool. I've no idea what the guy's actual leccy knowledge is, as he very rarely sticks his neck out to help people. What's that about, eh? And the sheer lack of wit in his 'repostes'. Sigh (shakes head sadly). GROW UP, Mr Silly. And stick around and help people, ***.

What is it you want, GB? Some acknowledgement of how fuffing brilliant you are? Well, just give the peeps who come on here for advice just that - good, solid advice. Then we'll tell you how much we love you.

Sheesh.

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

The point is DA that Screwfix host the forum and administer it very very badly indeed.

Many good helpful ( and amusing) regulars got 'dumped' when Screwfix 'upgraded' the forum.

Screwfix do not keep on top of 'silly' trolls but they then go and ban some of the best contributors ever!

Screwfix do not keep on top of the endless boring spam that gets posted.

Screwfix do not use 'sticky' threads to answer common questions - if they did some of the regulars may be a  bit less sarky? It does get tedious answering the 'my combi is losing pressure' question for the millionth time.

Screwfix do not 'manage' the main contributors. They do not gently nudge them back in line with a private message or encourage them to be helpful either.

Your points have some validity DA but it is Screwfix who need to step up to the mark and run the forum properly.

I hardly ever bother contributing any more. I am also sure I would not be missed. But each person leaving makes this graveyard of a forum more empty, more cold, more boring and ultimately a waste of time for all concerned.

As for the 'fragile ego's' DA......go look in a mirror :)

16. wetpants

wetpants New Member

17. Oi! I'll have you know that my ego is alive and well, thank you very mu... Oh, I see what you mean... :(

Fair dues, HOTDAWG. You make some good points - that would have been useful on the 'Alex' thread earlier. Cough.

But I still don't think it's 'technically' a bad forum. Yes, SF could tap the heads of the trolls, for example, but there's little else 'wrong' as such.

It's ultimately down to the people who populate a forum. And I think quite a few come on here expecting to get more out of it than they put in. That, in my mind, ain't what a forum is about. You start by trying to give as much as you can, and the return will often come. And that's purely a bonus if it happens. And if it doesn't, well, hey - a forum should be for giving...

The main stalwarts on here - the Mr Plums, the Peters, the Cotswalds, the Sines, the UPs, the Mr Has (tho' he can get tetchy...), and plenty others (your omision is purely for brevity's sake), have something in common; their answers are fulsome and helpful and generous; not there for their own egos.

Tho', like us all, we do get a nice sense of satisfaction from giving a good answer :)

And that's an acceptable ego-trip

18. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

You are in a gracious mood today DA.

I think the point others are making has just been clarified by you....

The main stalwarts on here - the Mr Plums, the Peters, the Cotswalds, the Sines, the UPs, the Mr Has (tho' he can get tetchy...), and plenty others (your omision is purely for brevity's sake), have something in common; their answers are fulsome and helpful and generous; not there for their own egos.

...you have just listed all the current active members! :'(

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hotdog makes some very pertinent points. SF do seem to ban the wrong people at times. Allowing the trolls to carry on regardless. Spam isn't kept on top of. I've seen some spam on here for almost a week before it's been removed by admin/mod's.
    A sticky section for all those recurring questions would be a great idea.
    The changeover to the "new improved" forum was handled exceedingly badly. Many (if not all of us) couldn't log in. I had to re-register to get on. That's where SF started losing members. They did very little (if anything) to help members through the transition.;)

20. Gracious ma botty.

And then there's hibeealex, Sparks, ilikethislady, Lokks, wally, sen, Lec, J.P., and JJ...

Yep - not a lot :'(

But, quality

Ok, wot I'm trying to say is, it can't be simply down to a bit of spam and a few trolls that this forum ain't as buzzing as it should be. There's something else.

(Wish I knew where Looch is...)