Help with Shower Mixer tap please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Scoobster, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Scoobster

Scoobster New Member

Hi Guys

Need to replace a thirty year old bath mixer tap with shower attachment. Cold water is gravity fed from a tank in loft, hot water is from tank in airing cupboard. Head of water to where shower head will be is approx 4', which i understand to be a little over 0.1 Bar. Can anyone recommend a suitable tap that i can fit that will give a useable shower function?
    It for my 80 year old mother so power showers are not required!!!!

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Go to a decent  plumbers merchant and ask for a low pressure mixer bath tap.

3. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

These are good value and good quality. http://www.screwfix.com/p/h-c-dual-commercial-lever-bath-shower-mixer-bathroom-tap/25843

4. Scoobster

Scoobster New Member

Many thanks for the suggestion, i didn't want to say but that is the actual tap i have recently fitted however when the shower knob is pulled only a very weak trickle comes out, water comes out the taps as expected though.  The tap is fed with 22mm hot and cold. I note some mixer taps are marked as only requireing 0.2 bar pressure, would anyone know if these are better?
    Many thanks

5. dynomite

dynomite Member

did the original 30 yr old tap have a shower attachment?

6. Scoobster

Scoobster New Member

Hi
    Yes, the original did have the shower attachment and it worked fine. I only changed these taps because mother was having difficulty in turning them off and on.
    Thanks for your interest

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Why not replace the head and valves with modern ceramic quarter turn carridges and lever handles?

8. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

In my opinion ceramic inserts should not be used on a gravity system,because the hot tap is fed from a cylinder that is supplied by a tank in the loft which is more often than not unfit to drink, dust, dirt, debris, grit then passes to cylinder and between ceramic inserts which then get a scratch on the face and drip instead of turning off, 1/4 turn washer taps with a lever are available as tap reviver's.