hardwood timber suppliers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by renovator, Apr 16, 2004.

1. renovator

renovator New Member

Anyone know of a hardwood supplier in scotland, either native or imported hardwood.
    Must be capable of supplying 6 metre lengths

tia

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I think you will have a job finding that sort of length, even in the South East you won't get much over 4.8m. Are you looking for a specific species or use ie. durable for outside use or non durable for inside. If you do find what you want expect to pay a high premium for it.

Jason

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heelllooo renovator

you dont say if its finnished or rough sawn
    try sawmils and wood yards [ask for ideas or leads]
    if they dont have what you want
    also importers

big all

4. taffy

taffy New Member

just found a good one in n.wales. you could build a raft with what you want and sail it up the clyde.l.o.l.???

5. ajmoore

ajmoore New Member

Taffy where do you get your wood from in north wales, i am based in Wrexham and am looking for a good supplier.

Thanks

6. taffy

taffy New Member

red pine or hard wood?

7. ajmoore

ajmoore New Member

Both, just bought some southern yellow pine via Jewsons, but am also looking for some american par oak boards. I find the timber builders merchants keep are rubbish and expencive, any good timber yards you know of would be gratefully received.

Thanks

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heelllooo ajmoore

have you looked up sawmills in your phone book!!!!!!!

or timber suppliers or wood yards ect

good luck

big all

9. taffy

taffy New Member

pine planks from oswestry small timber yard as you come in to town from wrexham turn left under bridge first right into yard planks are par at about 5.3/4 "wide by 9/16" thick. hard wood oak cherry beach ect but only english home grown from the halkin estate mostyn turn left at traffic lights at turning for docks 1/2 mile up the hill on right......eng oak £22 cubic foot cherry £42 approx most rough cut or wanney edge.will send you my moble nos if you cannot find do you know the john player code?????????

10. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I've found Border Hardwoods at Wem very helpful PAR kiln dried ash £22/ft³ and green oak £18ft³ they will plane air and kiln dried timber to size if required.

11. taffy

taffy New Member

that should be 7/8ths thick not 9/16`s i plane it down to 19 or 20mm. buts it`s par any way

12. jimbo

jimbo Guest

Hello Renovator,the best Hardwood supplier in Scotland is Gilmour&Aitken Ltd in Alexandria,near Dumbarton.They will have all you need in the size you want . Tel No is 01389 751821 ask for Ken .

13. taffy

taffy New Member

just info had a look at woodsmith`s borderhardwoods .com`s web site might take a run up there my self off on monday only got a few planks to glue up will keep you informed, taffy

14. ajmoore

ajmoore New Member

I bought some oak from mostyn estates, was suppose to be air dried. Seemed very wet when i come to work with it.

15. taffy

taffy New Member

well took the run up to wem. could not resist some iroco he had so wallet was a bit lighter comming home. he`s got english oak european hardwoods and american oak and walnut.iroco rough cut 10`x8.1/2 x1.1/4 thick £18 plank

16. Dusty

Dusty Guest

Try
    Alexander Sawmills (Ayr) 01292 267842 or
    Christies Timber (Bo'ness) 01506 828222