damp patch

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by stevie-c, Jul 9, 2013.

1. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

hiya - i reskimmed a wall and have 2 small patches of plaster that havent dried after 2 weeks - any idea's?

2. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

both internal walls - concrete floor

3. In this weather?!! :eek:

And just a 'skim' or a full-blown base and top plastering?

What do you think - any suspicion it could be damp caused by something else; rising, or a leaking pipe for instance?

If it's all ok and you're just wondering how to speed it up, then I'd suggest - in this weather - there's little point trying anything other than a good through-draught...

4. (Are the patches aginst the floor? Did you soak the bare walls prior to plastering? Could it be water still making it's way up from the floor from that?)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is it possible you used the bottom or the top of an old bag of plaster?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

no Mr. HandyAndyMr. it was a new bag

7. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

1 patch is just above the skirting, the other is in an internal corner by a door

8. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

it was just a skim, and theres no pipework anywhere near the plaster

9. The one on the internal corner, is that also close to the floor...?

A skim, in this weather, will have dried out - probably - in just a single day, unless the substrate was soaked before skimming. Was it doused? Who did the skimming - yourself or a skimmer?

If it's not down to a large amount of dampening water used to prepare the substrate before the skim - and which has still to dry out - then it sounds like rising damp.

Is the patch getting smaller or staying the same?

10. stevie-c

stevie-c Member

i did wet it, but not soaked it,  both patches are getting marginaly smaller and the 1 in the corner is from the skirting up to 16'' above it

11. Well, you know it's either the water you applied prior to skimming, or else it's rising. Very likely the former.

The plaster on the other side of these walls, any signs of dampness there - that could suggest 'rising'?

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Stevie, I don't understand this part of the conversation..

Handy Andy wrote,,,, " Is it possible you used the bottom or the top of an old bag of plaster?"

Stevie wrote....  No HandyAndy Mr, it was  a new bag."

You have then marked Handy's post as a correct answer, when it clearly isn't.

Anyrode, even in this weather, plaster can still take some time to dry completely. You say the patches are getting marginally smaller. It will probably dy out enough to paint within a few days.;)

13. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

Everyone thinks Handy is wonderful. Even though he spouts garbage or the obvious 95% of the time.
    Look into his eyes, not between his eyes, right into his eyes.............
    [​IMG]

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do you know, I actually get those sometimes(have them in my vision-eyes open or closed), only not as full-more in outline, but same colours.
    Usually accompanied with a feeling sick and 'hangover-head, though sober.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Classic migraine, Mr Ha. Hellish things...

And that pic has chust given me one...