Laying floor tiles in a staggered (i.e. like brickwork bonding) style

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Jul 29, 2013.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I notice that with kitchen wall tiling its becoming modern (faddish?) to lay the tiles as though they are brick - staggered and bonded. I'm about to lay the ceramic floor tiles in my kitchen re-furb and Mrs. DIY asked the question "why don't we stagger them?". Has anyone been called upon to lay them like this and does anyone see any problems. Did they look good?

Thank you

diymostthings

2. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

I do it quite a lot at the moment, as it is popular with clients.

Here's a picture of a kitchen floor I laid whilst doing the complete kitchen job.

[​IMG]

Snezza.

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ive laid floor tiles in the brick fashion, no problems in doing so. as Snezza has shown it can look very good. thats a very nice job Snezza.

4. diymostthings

Wow! thanks for that snezza31 - that looks stunning! (no I'm not an estate agent!). I'm sold now. Staggering it is!

diymostthings

5. diymostthings

Thanks surfermick - that's given me the confince to proceed. I thought another advantage is if your line start to wander 9slightly) it won't be so noticable with staggered as with grid fashion.

Thnaks again for answering.

diymostthings

6. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Thanks for the comments guys !!!!

The complete job was quite a lot of work. I had to Self level the floor and lay an electric UFH system prior to the tiling. Tiles were laid first over the complete room, then I fitted the kitchen. Customer is well happy and I have since done a new kitchen for her next door neighbour. Funnily enough, HE liked the floor so much on this job that he had the exact same floor laid in his kitchen. Both had matching Stone worktops.

Snezza.

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Wow Snezza, love the floor mate. Any pictures of the complete kitchen?

fats

8. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

[​IMG]
    Here are a couple more photos of the same job. I finished it earlier this year.

Attached Files:

9. FatHands

Lovely job there! Did you do the whole rip-out and re-fit?
    Given me a few ideas for mine, thanks!
    I've got high gloss white cabinets and azabache granite tops coming and planned on doing the white tiles and picking up a colour from the wall (yet to be confirmed!) on the tile like you've done.
    I was going to have L.E.D's strips flush on top of the plinths (or rather at 90 degrees) but after seeing your kitchen think i might go for the round ones. Are they flush with the plinths?

Cheers,
    Fats

10. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Yes, I did the complete refurbishment.

New ceiling, plastering, coving, lighting, electrics, underfloor heating, floor tiling, wall tiling, and plumbing including a boiling water tap (Quooker) as well as fitting the kitchen. Granite company supplied and fitted the worktops.

The doors on the cabinets are Hi Gloss Cream, as are the bulk of the wall tiles although they do look paler in the photos.

LED plinth lights are recessed into the plinths and fit in a 20mm hole. All swicthed from a 3 gang light switch on the wall along with the cabinet lighting and ceiling lights.

Most of the appliances are by Siemens, sink and tap are both Blanco.

11. FatHands

nice one, cheers for the pointers. I've cabled up same way - ceiling, plinths, cabinets.

How long did the whole job take you mate - just curious thats all.

12. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

From rip-out to completion,  14 days in total. There was a lot of preparation to do, which took up the majority of the time.

13. FatHands

thats good going. Nice job!