Painting copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Collin, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Collin

Collin New Member

Can you help.

I have just had new radiators fitted, and the pipe work has been left bare. I was thinking of painting over them to help hide them.

Can I just brush some emulsion over them or do they need a primer or undercoat.

Thanks

Col

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd just gloss them, but then again my wife does all the painting in our house,you might be better asking this on the painters forum, they'll make a dinner out of it i'm sure,

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

primer, undercoat and gloss. alternatively you can by pipe cover for them, ive seen it in white or chrome. its basically a piece of thin pipe split down through the length, you cut the size piece you need and clip it around the copper pipe. only usable on straight pipe though.

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ah, there you go, i would say i made a light snack out of it, but im sure other meal makers will be along shortly.

5. tremain

tremain New Member

I gloss as Mick recommends....

;)However

You can just use emulsion which can be handy where any pipes are clustered against a wall ,say under the boiler in a kitchen.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd make a law against painting copper, at some stage a plumbers going to have to cut the pipes to add or adjust something, then he has to clean the paint off, use only brasso to clean them and brighten them up,

Joe95 likes this.
  7. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I'm with Tom on this one - the number of times I've had to scrape off layers of paint from a copper pipe before it can be soldered runs into dozens. Then its usually hard against a wall or obstruction so hard to see if you've cleaned it off all round the back. Compressions fitting are not too bad though - I've often cleaned off enough paint to be able to slide the olive on and tightened with paint in situ.

diymosthtings

8. Collin

Collin New Member

Thanks for your thoughts..

i did not think of access. Boxing would have same problem and I think would look worse. Think I going to look in to these covers.

CHeers

9. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

I've used the white plastic pipe covers a few times around the house and they do look good when first fitted but, can yellow over time (reckon its the heat from the pipes)

Also used the chrome effect ones which seem to stay nice and shiny

They always seem quite expensive for a thin piece of plastic sleeve but are certainly quicker and neater than painting
    Some places sell them in 1 mtr lengths which are more economical to cut down for several rads

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sticky back plastic. Cut enough to wrap plus a bit so it overlaps and sticks to itself at the back. Choose your colour or just white.
    Easy to fit. Easy to replace. Cheap as chips.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Balders

Balders New Member

Im not a lover of painting Pipe. Been to some houses where pipe has already been painted and it looks awful. Ive always used the covers, but i like Andy's idea there!

12. surfermick

surfermick New Member

yes i will be trying Andy's suggestion myself, ive never thought of it before. nice one.

13. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Would the sticky back plastic idea work Andy ?
    I Mean it's pretty thin stuff and would the heat from the pipes not cause it to come unstuck ?

Also often there is a coupling on the pipe between floor board level and rad valve. Again as the sticky plastic is so thin I think you would see the join through the plastic .
    just out of interest is this just an "idea " or have you actually put this to the test , ie have you got one you prepared earlier !

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Handy was after the recent Blue Peter presenter's job. That's why he's using sticky back plastic, a bog roll and a wire coat hanger. ;)
    (nearly forgot the empty Fairy liquid bottle too)

15. xbg

xbg New Member

Fur goodness sake. Undercoat and gloss. Get on with it and move in with your life. How many times in YOUR  house has a plumber had a problem  joining pipes?

Without going into detail, plumbers carry a blowlamp.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well said XBG, by the time the sticky back plastic has baked itself to the pipework....no chance. I use the split plastic pipe covers or paint.....job done.

17. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

No option to box in?

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm guessing that it's been sorted as it was three and a half years ago. Mind you........

Pablo-Handy likes this.
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Probably still deciding...due to the problem of possible brush marks. Perhaps spraying them would be better? Hmmm...might get runs and the overspray could get everywhere. Best solution is to remove the central heating, then there will be no pipes to worry about! :confused:

20. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

I haven't looked into this really, but found this. Conduit that clips on pipe clip. As BQ and screwfix are the same, I can't see the offence in showing the image.

As you say, if the solution three years down the road is not found. But these old threads still hold gems for Googled questions. :)

Attached Files: