Dulux Trade Diamond Eggshell Not Happy With Finish Look :-(

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kryptonite, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

Guys  I?ve just spent 2 weeks doing this, I?ve done2 coats of knotting, 2 coats undercoat / primer & 2 coats of Dulux trade diamond eggshell paint (water based), and the finish results looks disappointing not happy at all. please see attached pics

I mean there?s no smoothness in it, there?s too many brush streaks that are visible from close distance. what?s the cause of this?  is it because its water based paint. plus it goes off really fast?

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ok, my answer to you here is that you have used the wrong paint. dulux trade diamond eggshell is a wall paint not a woodwork specific paint. what you say about it drying to quick is partly true. it has dried to quick because its main purpose is to cover large area's. people will be along to disagree and you can take your choice with the replies. satin/eggshell/gloss paint for woodwork is different to wall paint. yes you can put most any paint on any surface but the result isnt always going to be good ar long lasting. Now, provided its only a few days since you painted it the best way around this is to give it a light rub down and a coat of woodwork specific eggshell paint, this will settle smoother. if however its been longer than a few days i would suggest a light sanding, undercoat and a woodwork specific eggshell coat. hope this helps.

3. tremain

tremain New Member

Same reply as to other post,though having just read Mick's post I do agree you would have found it easier with an oil based gloss,but you are where you are so one more coat with floetrol culd solve it for you.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Diamond Eggshell is suitable for masonry, plaster and wood (data sheet 408). I have used it many times on timber trims such as you are doing. You have answered your own question in a way...drying to quickly, the recent hot weather would have not helped in any way plus it is also important that a synthetic brush such as one from the PURDY range is used to minimise brush strokes showing.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Member

I bought 3 x 5 litre tubs cost me £50 each, I?ve done all the woodwork in my house, spent 2 weeks in this hot weather doing it feel really disappointed, all that hard work gone down the drain, everyone thats has seen it are saying its fine and it will do, but with me i m looking for perfection worked so hard :-( asked so many people for best paint and they all said go for dulux trade water based paint so I went ahead with it, Im using Harris paint brushes

@Astramax: you are right because it was really really hot in the house as soon as  i did 2 strokes of paint and went back to the same spot in 5 mins it was dry

So what are my options shall i sand the whole house down again and go for dulux trade oil based ?

6. tremain

tremain New Member

I stick by the options I mentioned on the other thread you have concerning the same issue.

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

no, do not put an oil based top coat on water based paint. i would suggest you go and by a water based woodwork specific paint.  the paint you have used is for walls, true it says for plaster, masonry and woodwork but thats because you can paint walls made of plaster, masonry or ply etc. ask yourself this, why would they charge me £75 for 2.5 litres of dulux water based satinwood finish and sell you 5 litres for £50, the answer is that your paint is for walls and not a wood specific top coat. hope this helps.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Option is sand it all over again with wet and dry paper 150 grit and repaint with a Purdy brush, on very hot days I have added a splash of water to slow down the drying process.

You can put oil based over water based with no problem providing you have sanded the surface to provide a good key for the paint.