Position of Isolating Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by azizrasul, Aug 5, 2013.

1. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Hi,

Currently my isolating switch for my electric shower is within the bath area so that it's easily accessible when I'm showering.
    I'm now going to place the electric shower in a different area of the bathroom. Can the isolating switch stay where it si as it will now be out of reach from the position of the new electric shower?

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yes, assuming it's a pull cord switch

3. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Many thanks.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not if there's still going to be a bath there!

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

It might be a bath and shower screen setup Sen - summit fishy with the switch position -  all be it pullcord.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's what I was wondering JP, I thought it might have started with the shower in the bath area and now a separate shower fitted but bath still there?

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I've got visions of a cooker switch mounted within reach of the shower :eek:

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You could well be right Sean!

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

perhaps the ops switch is acessible via the pull cord, perhaps his question is ,,,must the switch be moved so that the pull cord is accessible to a person using the shower in it;s new location.

in that case the answer is that the switch can stay where it is

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

11. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

You hit the nail on the head Lokkars Daisy. Getting rid of the bath but having the shower in a different corner of the bathroom where I can't reach the pull cord switch. From what you said, I'll keep the pull cord switch where it is as also suggested by Sean_ork.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

However, it does make me wonder why 99% of the time, the shower pull-cord isolator IS installed within reach whilst showering!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's so that when they're being frazzled they can reach out and turn the power off handy! 

14. Mr. Handyandy

Yes, but what if it isn't there(as will the OP's be) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. DiggerB

DiggerB New Member

Is the isolating switch (pull switch) mounted on the wall?? or on the ceiling?? if its near the bath/shower and therefore within zone 1  then it shouldnt be near the bath/shower,, UNLESS it is over 2.25meters above the bottom of the bath/shower then it is outside zone 1 and therefore ok....

16. Mr. Handyandy

The OP is concerned that he should be able to reach the switch cord while in the shower, in case he needed quick isolation.

Where his new location of shower is, he won't be able to reach the cord. Is it necessary, is the question.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. DiggerB

DiggerB New Member

There is nothing to stop you installing the isolating switch for a shower outside the bath/shower room,, especially if you cannot clear the zones to comply with the regs,,,,,if a fault occurs whilst in the shower then the means of automatic disconnection (Fuse, RCBO/RCD/MCB) should operate under a fault circumstance,,Thats what they are there for....(of course they will only operate if they and the installation is installed correctly)

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Hang on, there is another Digger on a different thread arguing that isolators must be LOCAL to the appliance

19. DiggerB

DiggerB New Member

shower units have their own on off switch's as well as a main isolator,,,,stop trying to split hairs and listen to some good advice,,,,;)

20. Mr. Handyandy

So does a cooker, so does a washing machine, so does a tumble-dryer, so does a kettle, so does a microwave etc etc etc

Sounds like there's hardly any need for local isolation switches at all then!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really