Drilling Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by FatHands, Aug 12, 2013.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hiya,

Fats is making progress on his Kitchen thanks to the help from Screwfix forum members ;)

Other than a sharp drill bit and slow drill, any other tips for doing this?

The hole needs to be fairly big as it has to accomodate the two water feeds to go through. Although not at the same time, once the first one goes through the size of the flexi hose will take up a bit of space and need enough to get the second one through.
    The tap is then held on by an M8 thread and plate (please see attached).
    I've got quite a sharp "christmas tree" steel drill cone from my car days so plan on ploughing that through in a central location and then linning it all up.

Not sure if i should make up a bracket to go on the stud to secure to the wall too? I guess fit it and see how sturdy it is?

thanks as always,

Fats

[​IMG]

2. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

The normal size for a kitchen tap hole is 35mm. 99% of all Stainless Steel sinks come with at least 1 hole in them..........I'm a bit surprised you have got to drill yours out......!!!!!!

However, the usual tool for cutting a 35mm hole in a Stainless steel sink is a Bolt Punch.

It is 2 sections of metal that are connected with a large bolt. You drill a pilot hole the diameter of the bolt, take apart the 2 metal plates and reassemble the cutter with one plate on top of the sink and one below. Then take up the slack and just keep tightening the bolt with a spanner or socket. The cutter will cut out a perfect hole with no burning or stress on the Stainless Steel Sink.

Snezza.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Can you put up a link to the make and type of sink you've bought? Very unusual for a S/S sink not to come pre-drilled. ;)

4. FatHands

hiya,

Not long after posting i found another bag of bits and bobs from the Ikea delivery and one of the items was a sink cutter, which as you say Snezza - 35mm and requires a 10mm pilot hole.

John - this is the sink i have mate.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S59896290/

Thanks as always,

Fats

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ahh I see,,, From IKEA. Glad you found the cutter to enable you to make the correct sized hole... Have fun. ;)

PS watch your fingers,,, S/S can be bloody lethally sharp. ;)

6. FatHands

Yep pleased with the quality of the units to be fair. Point noted about the sharpness!
    ill get some photos up when it's done.
    Thanks
    Fats